Floating Betta Help

1. F

FishLoverDogLover New Member Member

Okay, so I have female elephant eared betta that I got from petco about 2 months ago. Since I got her she's had gastrointestinal problems consistently. She's healthy otherwise but she constantly struggles to not float to the top of the tank. However, as long as I feed her a pea for dinner every day, she doesnt float. If i miss one day she floats again. She doesnt even look bloated and water parameters are fine. She's by herself in a 5 gallon with some shrimp and a snail. I got her with the problem, not knowing it when i got her.
    Its not so much as bloat, than it is like constipation and like a birth defect.
    Is all I can do is continue to manage the issue? Or could there be a permanent solution besides putting her out of her misery? I cant keep blanching and feeding her peas. I mean I would if she wasnt such a stunning fish. She's all white with a faint peach tone. 20180502_184726.jpg

2. W

WriterDayAndNight New Member Member

Wow, you're right she's a very beautiful girl. Well, if it doesn't seem to bother her I wouldn't 'put her out of her misery.' Have you tried any other types of food besides the peas and her regular pellets/flakes? I'm npt really sure what to do about his what but it is probable that she has some kind of birth defect. When she starts floating does she float at an angle like on her side?

3. OP
    OP
    F

I have tried other foods. Its not the flakes or anything, its most likely a birth defect. And she just floats straight up she can right herself and everything. Its like if you or I try to dive down and we start floating up. I think she has a constipation issue where she needs the peas to keep it regular. But is there something else besides peas that I could use to keep her regular? I am going on vacation soon, and I wont be here to feed her a pea every day.

4. W

If your going on vacation you could take advantage of that and try fasting her while your gone and then try feeding her a pea to help, but that's all I can think to do right now. You might want to turn up the temp a little (Very slowly) but I'm honestly not sure

5. OP
    OP
    F

Could it be that she is genetically deficient in something that the pea has? Also is there nothing at all other than peas to keep her regular? Maybe some lettuce of some sort? I know you said you're not sure, i'm just exploring options here haha

6. W

I mean I definitely think its possible that she could be missing something that the pea gives her. You could see if trying Epsom salt will help the problem sense its also used to swim bladder issues sometimes although I don't think it'll help her, so take my advice with a grain of salt (heh, get it?)