Floating Betta

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Reybetta, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Reybetta

Reybetta Valued Member Member

Hi,
    My betta has been floating at the top of his tank for a few days now. It keeps happening after I feed him only one betta pellet. I have been fasting him then feeding him a small piece of a pea and within the day he is usually back to normal and swimming. But yesterday I fed him a soaked betta pellet and again he has started to float at the top of his tank. I decided I would fast him and try the pea method again but this morning I noticed feces in the bottom of his tank but he is still floating at the top. His tank is at 80 degrees and he is in a smaller tank than his usual 5 gallon tank. I am just unsure of what could be causing this chronic problem and what I should be doing to help him.

Attached Files:

2. BlissfulBetta

BlissfulBetta Valued Member Member

What are your water parameters? I don't know much about swim bladder disorders, but this could be a swim bladder problem. Someone else may be able to help you more.

3. OP
    OP
    Reybetta

I am not sure at the moment but I will check when I get home. Unfortunately I had to move him into a smaller tank due to the 5 gallon tank cycle being ruined by medication I had to previously use and therefore I am trying to recycle it and he is in a 1 gallon tank until then. I am doing 50%
    water changes daily on it

4. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Could you take a few more pictures from different angles? Also, if you have a way to test the water parameters (nitrites, nitrates, ammonia etc) could you post the results as well?
    How long have you had him? His tail fin looks a bit tattered but that shouldn't cause him to have swim bladder issues. Usually swim bladder problems are caused by over feeding, constipation and sometimes parasites. Often times a short epsom salt bath will help with bloat as it is a laxative and also draws out extra fluids.

If the pellets are giving him bloating problems then I would try switching to a different brand or maybe even some sort of flake food. What brand do you use now?

Even if neither tank is cycled I would still move him back to his tank because the water parameters will be more stable and easier to control in a 5gal rather than the little bowl he's in now. Plus, doing 50% water changes in such a tiny space would be stressing him out for too much. If the filter is pushing him around then I would switch it off for now or put a dampener of some sort on it. I would do a 50% water change in the 5gal before moving him to it though. Also, since the cycled was lost from the meds you should do 50% water changes every other day.

5. OP
    OP
    Reybetta

Yes I can test the water parameters when I get home today and also I will take a few other angles of him once I get back. I have had him for about 6 months now. His tail is on the mend from being ripped by a plant I had put in his tank I have since removed it but it is healing extremely slowly. I will pick up some epsom salt today, do I just do a 15 minute bath and then put him back into his tank? Ok thank you I will move him back into the 5 gallon tank today. The pellets I have been feeding him are called Aqueon.... Should I pick up flake food or get something else like blood worms? Thank you for your help

6. Demeter

I'd try another brand or even the betta flakes, freeze dried blood worms will only cause more bloating issues so if you can get the frozen blocks that would be better. Only feed blood worms ever few days and only like 2 pieces. Make sure you get the unscented epsom salt and yeah 15 mins should be good. I don't remember how much salt to add though, you might want to look into that a bit more. I feel like it was somewhere around a table spoon per gallon.

7. OP
    OP
    Reybetta

Ok thank you I will go pick up some flakes today. Should I fast him for a few days before feeding him the flakes? As of this morning he was still bloated.

8. Demeter

Yeah, it shouldn't hurt to fast him but no more than 3 days. Good luck with your boy!

9. OP
    OP
    Reybetta

Alright I have not fed him today so I will most likely just feed him tomorrow and see how he is. Thank you for your help

10. OP
    OP
    Reybetta

So I checked my parameters after the 50% change on the 5 gallon and ammonia: 0.25, nitrites:0.25, nitrates:0. should I do another water change to get these values down lower? Also here are a few more photos of him from different angles. He looks less bloated than this morning in my opinion.

Attached Files:

11. Demeter

He looks a lot better considering that he isn't floating on his side now. I would do another 50% then, you need the nitrites and ammonia at zero or as close to it as possible.

12. OP
    OP
    Reybetta

Ok I will try to get those readings lower Thank you for all of your help really appreciate it.

13. OP
    OP
    Reybetta

Thank you for the advice on the flakes he has not been bloated from them today :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice