Floaters With High Flow

Cody

I recently put some red root floaters in on of my planted tanks and I had what I considered to be normal flow but it seemed to be too much and I ended up losing it all. But it sounds like if they even get a little water on the tops that it can cause issues.

Are there any floaters that do better than others with flow?

darrylzuk

I had the same issue with red root floaters. The flow didn't faze duckweed and dwarf water lettuce. However, since I want to try red root floaters again, I would up making spillway baffles out of soap dishes to make things a little calmer.

Fisch

darrylzuk said:
I had the same issue with red root floaters. The flow didn't faze duckweed and dwarf water lettuce. However, since I want to try red root floaters again, I would up making spillway baffles out of soap dishes to make things a little calmer.
Can you post a picture of this construction? I am interested in how to reduce the current for the floaters. Dwarf water lettuce seems to work in this environment.

darrylzuk

Fisch said:
Can you post a picture of this construction? I am interested in how to reduce the current for the floaters. Dwarf water lettuce seems to work in this environment.
Sure, I'll take one tomorrow when my lights are on. I'll also dig up the Amazon link to the soap dish.

darrylzuk

Here are two pictures. I ended up not needing the fishing line. There's a piece of window screen I cut to fit in the bottom and Seachem Matrix is piled on top. You could also use a piece of filter sponge or anything that won't fall through the holes of the soap dish (if you don't add a screen). As you can see my snails haven't quite figured out where the algae buffet is yet.

Attachments

darrylzuk

Here's a link to the product I used. I got the two-pack, since I run two filters (Aquaclear 70 and Penguin 200). The Aquaclear has more clearance underneath the spillway and the spillway doesn't protrude out as far, which allows it to work a little more effectively. Still works on the Penguin, it just sits a little lower in the water. I might mess around this weekend and see if I can raise the Penguin up a bit by placing some sort of riser on the rim of my tank beneath the filter. If you want to be fancy, OXO makes a soap tray with what appears to be a stronger suction cup.

Top Bottom