[Floaters] Phyllanthus Fluitans purchased - Wondering whether they thrive

ArmouredUnicorn

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Recently bought some Silvania Natans however a load of Phyllanthus Fluitans came with it which I wasn't expecting. I love the red roots and the plant looks great, however I'm not sure whether it'll survive in my tank.

It's a 20 gallon and ive sectioned off some surface to reduce agitation and put it in the middle section, surrounded by the natans as I believe they need ALOT of light and still water.
My main concern is whether I need to start dosing? I have EasyCarbo already and my plants are looking a lot better over the last week of using it. However I read they require phosphates & nitrates (which my water naturally contains a 20ppm of nitrate). Shall I also get the EasyProFito?

- Think it's about a 1W per gallon at the moment. I've also noticed that some of the leaves are constantly submerged.. Are these the absorbing organs or will they likely die off? It's only that these are more semI circular keeping the leave edge slightly submerged than crescent like the natans and I know that with submerged leaves in floating plants like frogbit will die fast.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
IIRC Phyllanthus does have a few submerged leaves. As long as there are leaves above the water and dry they should be fine. They are heavy feeders though so I would recommend dosing. Or keep an eye on your nitrates and if you see them dropping too much then dose. You're right about them not liking surface agitation!

OP
ArmouredUnicorn

ArmouredUnicorn

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Aquaphobia said:
IIRC Phyllanthus does have a few submerged leaves. As long as there are leaves above the water and dry they should be fine. They are heavy feeders though so I would recommend dosing. Or keep an eye on your nitrates and if you see them dropping too much then dose. You're right about them not liking surface agitation!
Ah ok, yeah there's a couple up but a couple with submerged one, all have sections above water though. Hopefully they're ok.

I will buy some of that profito then and start dosing alongside the carbon. Yeah I made sure they're not agitated.

Do I have enough lighting for them? They're about 3" below the light.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hard to say. Is the bulb new? It's probably enough. Is there a reflector to prevent light escaping through the top?

OP
ArmouredUnicorn

ArmouredUnicorn

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Aquaphobia said:
Hard to say. Is the bulb new? It's probably enough. Is there a reflector to prevent light escaping through the top?
Bulbs newish yea, and I covered the hood of the tank in aluminium reflective tape It's nice and bright.

New Threads