20 Gallon Tank Floaters in a 20L

Matt11711

Hi,
As the title says, I'm wondering if it would make sense to put floaters in a 20L. I bought a plant pack online and have my tank pretty full of plants already, but I really like the idea of a plant on top with roots hanging down like a red floater(I think that was the name). I also have one plant in here that I have yet to identify so tomorrow I'll post a picture of it in the plant ID section. Here I'll post a picture of my tank so you can comment on if floaters would work. My light is a hygger 918 which is a 16W LED, 903 lumens, and I'm running it for 12 hours and then a low blue light setting for night time. Currently the only fertilizer is a trace element fertilizer.

Attachments

• PXL_20210116_022254177.jpg
    PXL_20210116_022254177.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 22

Candace

I have floaters in my 20g long. Some amazon frogbit and just added some red root floaters (my gourami loves them). The only thing I'd be worried about is whether or not you have any high light plants in your tank? If not there are really no issues and most fish like swimming through their roots. If you do have some high light plants you can try using wire or string to keep the floaters away from the area where those plants are. What all is in your tank so far?

Upvote 0

Matt11711

I have floaters in my 20g long. Some amazon frogbit and just added some red root floaters (my gourami loves them). The only thing I'd be worried about is whether or not you have any high light plants in your tank? If not there are really no issues and most fish like swimming through their roots. If you do have some high light plants you can try using wire or string to keep the floaters away from the area where those plants are. What all is in your tank so far?
Let me see if I can remember/identify these: hornwort, money wort, a crypt of some sort, anacharis, I think one stalk of total rotundofolia, an anubia, a tiny bit of dwarf hair grass, some java moss, marimo balls, red lidwigia, I think a type of dwarf sword, and some unidentified branched grass that has small purple flowers. I don't think any are very high light, but speaking of that, how does my tank fall on the spectrum of low-high light with its current light considering it's a long tank so the plants are closer to the light?

Upvote 0

Candace

Let me see if I can remember/identify these: hornwort, money wort, a crypt of some sort, anacharis, I think one stalk of total rotundofolia, an anubia, a tiny bit of dwarf hair grass, some java moss, marimo balls, red lidwigia, I think a type of dwarf sword, and some unidentified branched grass that has small purple flowers. I don't think any are very high light, but speaking of that, how does my tank fall on the spectrum of low-high light with its current light considering it's a long tank so the plants are closer to the light?

It looks like almost all your plants are low-medium light which is good. There shouldn't be any issue with getting floating plants and it's definitely good for a low tech aquarium (no co2 injections). As for having high lighting, I'm not sure if it would negatively affect any of those plants but it will keep/bring out the red in the ludwigia repens (I think ludwigia are medium-high light plants).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
CoconutTheBetta
  • Question
Replies
Views
Leeman75
  • Question
Replies