Floater Plants

1. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Howdy folks!

As the title implies, this thread is related to floater plants. What are some that you use, what are the pros and cons you've found, your opinion on it aesthetically, ect.

I want to get floaters for my 10 gallon to shield my poor little fishy (Hugo the King Betta) and shrimp (Amano shrimp) from some of the lights. Here she is,
    [​IMG]

I've tried duckweed but, the stuff is just too messy. Blows everywhere unless I extremely baffle the filter with some ugly water bottle trick. So I've cleared out the duckweed and want something sturdier. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

2. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I really like guppy grass, but it grows like a weed and floats in the water column, not just the surface.

What about red root floaters?

4. Aster Well Known Member Member

Amazon frogbit and water spangles are easy floaters, but if there's a lot of disturbance on the surface they won't do too well either.

5. Jnx Member Member

What about cuttings of golden pothos? It's not technically a water plant, but if you affix it near your water line, the leaves can provide shade (it has large leaves), and the roots will grow into the water.

6. dandelion Member Member

I haven't seen this one before, probably because I am a beginner in the aqua plant world:;hi1. Where would you find it to purchase?

7. Jnx Member Member

dandelion, If you're asking about Golden Pothos (sometimes pathos, and there are a bunch of other aka's, too), here's a picture:[​IMG]
    You can find it at most houseplant stores, but chances are you know someone who has some, and cuttings are cheap (free!) and grow and root readily. If you start with a small leaf, they tend to stay small, and can easily be trained to grow where you'd like them to. This pic is of one of mine that's years old, that I just angled toward my betta pond.

8. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I looked up pothos and I think my mom has those in our kitchen! And they're overgrown! Maybe she'll let me take some extra and use it. Any tips as to how you're supposed to plant it in a tank as a floater? Just let it float about?

Aside from that, the red root floaters look beautiful and I might still get those in the future.

9. Jnx Member Member

I don't think it'll survive just floating. I would recommend tying or wiring it so the cut stem is completely submerged, but the leaf is just barely out of the water. It won't be a floater, but can be trained to grow just over the surface, so should provide a lot a shade.

10. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I think that would look lovely, thank you! Would pothos benefit at all from the flourish and flourish excel I use in my tank? Or would that harm the pothos at all? Though pothos seems to be a hardy plant.

11. Jnx Member Member

I don't know of anything that can harm pothos. That particular plant of mine came from a cutting that belonged to my friend's mother, who reportedly used it as an ashtray, and when my cutting took, my cats used it as a litter box for a week while I was away (they were not unsupervised, just not well supervised), and after its latest move it's grown six feet and taken over three other plants. I think you're safe. ;)

12. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

That's what I figured, thanks for the info!

13. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Tiger lotus is really cool, both a planted plant on the ground level of the aqaurium and send up leaves at the top of the water as well, red and green versions are both available.

14. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Or Japanese Spatterdock which looks very similar to the Tiger Lotus and the red variety has gorgeous dark purple leaves when it reaches the surface!

Golden Pothos is a great idea for your tank and has the added benefit (if you need it) of slurping up all the nitrates it can find;)

15. dandelion Member Member

Here I go to find a Golden pothos. My house needs more plants anyways.:;bmu

16. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Jnx

So here it is,
    [​IMG]
    This is just one of my mom's 2 potted Pothos.
    You can see all the leaves have turned towards the light of the window. I now have a snippet. This snippet is from a cup though and the leaves aren't exactly faced correctly for my tank light (they're kindve Derpy actually because of the way they were placed)
    [​IMG]
    Is this acceptable? Will the plant bend itself into shape so as to better absorb light?

17. Jnx Member Member

I think it might die if left submerged. Do you have any floral wire? I would/and have done, use/d floral wire to make a hook to hang over the edge of the tank. Any and all parts of the stem or petiole can be left underwater, just make sure to keep the leaves out of the water, or they may rot. The stems will just grow roots eventually. If you do use floral wire, you can also, gently!, spiral it loosely around the stems and petioles, and bend the plant to the shape/direction you want it in. Just do it slowly and be gentle, or it may break.
    Also, if using floral wire, be careful you don't leave bits that your fish can injure itself on.
    Here's a pick of how I did it, pothos on the left, peace lily on the right, floral wire is circled and out of betta's reach:[​IMG]

18. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Thanks! I'll have to pick some up and try that out!

19. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, the cutting will bend towards the light (phototropism) but if it's completely submerged it may rot before it grows roots. Jnx has the right idea, you need to drape it over the side if it's long enough or attach it to something so that the growing tip and some leaves are out of the water.

Also, I don't know if it applies to everyone's tanks, but I have only had luck growing regular Golden Pothos, there's a really pretty variety with bright white variegation and it grew very slowly where it didn't die outright:-\

20. Cef Member Member

I have been looking for floater plants and that golden pothos idea is great and they are also abundant here!