Float or sink fish food?

EMazurk

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 4 black skirt tetras that when I am not sure if I should be sprinkling the flakes on the surface to allow them to float or should I be placing them below the surface to make them sink? Do these fish have a preference? I feel like they kinda stare at it and don't go for it but when the occasional one starts to fall one will grab it. I don't want to sink them only to find out my fish aren't going to eat them and now I have food stuck in the gravel, atleast at the top whatever they don't eat I can scoop out after a few minutes to keep the water cleaner. Thanks!

FishTank Maniacz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would think if they are hungry they would eat anywhere. You could always try pushing a little under and see how it goes. All fish are different.

floatingdog

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think both will do fine. I have very similar tetras, long finned tetras. They eat off the surface and from underwater. But I think your best bet would be floating flakes.

Theman1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My black skirts are insane. As soon as my hand goes even close to the top of the water they are pretty much jumping out at me. So Id say try both ways and see what works best for them. I always put them on the top of the water.

ZakAttack

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When I slide the glass off the top back a little, all of my fish go beserk! The shyer fish (glass cats and my amano shrimp) will actually come out of hiding and swim for any floating/falling flakes like it was their last meal.

I do a mix, I use my NLS 1mm pellets and float some, and let the outflow of my filter blow the rest under and across the tank. I also do the same for my flakes I put in with them. I'm slowly weening them off the flakes and switching them to NLS pellets. They all go nuts for everything in any location. But I will say the faster tetras of mine go straight for the surface stuff.

It helps that I have a large stock, so I don't have leftover food. Either the fish catch it or the corys and shrimp make the difference.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom