Flo can't eat!

Amnagrla

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Like I said yesterday in another post... lol I have three new swordtails. the two bigger ones eat all the food and the smallest one (Flo) can't seem to get any. I try and distract Ophelia and Poopy by putting food for them in one spot and when they are eating sprinkle a little for Flo but she doesn't seem smart enough to get to it. She seems to eat off the gravel but I don't want her to starve. Any suggestions???

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We had a similar problem when we first got our platys. The smallest one (Minnie) had to settle for what Daisy & Belle didn't get to.. unfortunately, she had to learn to go after the food more aggressively but she did learn and now gets as much as the others. One thing that might help is to feed your swordtails like we do the platys.. we take their pinch of food between our fingers, put them just below the surface and rub the food between our fingers as we move our hand across the tank. This way the flake pieces or pellets get distributed across the tank and everyone gets a better chance for a fair share.. maybe start where the other 2 are and move towards Flo.

I hope it'll work, best of luck with them.

AngelSta

Reaction score
You could try and put the 2 bigger platys in a breeder net (you'll need it later anywayif you've got livebearers ) and feed them in there (leave them in there for 5 minutes or so). Why I say put the 2 bigger platys in there is that if you put Deb in there alone she probably won't eat. Or you could try the "BettaCouples'" idea if you didn't want to go to so much trouble, I think that as she gets used to the tank more she'll learn to stick up for her self more :.
I hope it works out
AngelSta

lolagurl

Reaction score
/\ yea but she doesn't want to have to catch them and separate them every time she feeds them

New Threads