Question Flightless fruit flies

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
Does anyone know if flightless fruit flies reproduce in the little vile you buy them in from petco?? Or will I have to buy more and these will run out?

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not certain but with mealworms in a tub from the shop if I feed them some old potato or carrot I always find babies so if u put some old friit e.g. an orange segment they probably will

OP
Jennalovesanimals

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
SnookusFish said:
I'm not certain but with mealworms in a tub from the shop if I feed them some old potato or carrot I always find babies so if u put some old friit e.g. an orange segment they probably will
Thanks for the reply! I chopped up a grape and threw it in there so hopefully that will work!

OP
Jennalovesanimals

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
kansas said:
Let us know if it works.
Hi, I just wanted to give an update on the fruit flies. I have actually seen a decrease in population even though I stopped feeding them to the fish for several days, and their container now has white stuff on the inside that appears to possibly be mold. Maybe it would work better with a different fruit but I think when this colony dies out I won’t buy them again :)

kansas

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Wild fruit flies breed like crazy, so these must be treated so they can't breed.

OP
Jennalovesanimals

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
kansas said:
Thanks for the info. Wild fruit flies breed like crazy, so these must be treated so they can't breed.
Huh that’s interesting I didn’t even think of that

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, you need a different food for the fruitflies. They lay their eggs in the same stuff that's used for microworms, usually baby cereal or corn flour. You also need to start new colonies regularly, just like microworms. And finally, make sure you have wingless fruitflies, and not just vestigial winged flies. With a rich diet, the vestigial winged can actually grow full wings sometimes!

New Threads