'Flashing'

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey so i have two goldfish, 10 danio and 3 platy in my tank. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10/20. Over the past couple of weeks ive noticed a couple of danio flash against the plants, but no one else....no signs of ich, everyone looks healthy but obviously something is up, i have a qt tank but that currently has fish in waiting to go in the main tank....so do i just treat the whole tank even the only a couple of fish are flashing?! Would be hard to work out which ones are the ones flashing from.the group anyways! Thanks :)

Best Answer - View Flyfisha's answer

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sarah1230ox said:
Hey so i have two goldfish, 10 danio and 3 platy in my tank. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10/20. Over the past couple of weeks ive noticed a couple of danio flash against the plants, but no one else....no signs of ich, everyone looks healthy but obviously something is up, i have a qt tank but that currently has fish in waiting to go in the main tank....so do i just treat the whole tank even the only a couple of fish are flashing?! Would be hard to work out which ones are the ones flashing from.the group anyways! Thanks :)
Just to clarify, you've had two danio that you've seen rubbing up against plants? are the plants fake or live?
There aren't any signs of ich, other fungal stuff, or parasites? anywhere on any of the fish?

My recommendation would be to sit and watch your tank for a while and see if you can spot anything else weird happening, with the danios and any others. If you can find any other symptoms it could help us give advice.

As it stands, keeping a close eye on them, a couple good water changes just make sure the water quality is good, and maybe a slime coat aid like stress coat or something. And time, hold the new fish in the qt and wait till the flashing stops, or you're able to get more info.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SilverLake said:
Just to clarify, you've had two danio that you've seen rubbing up against plants? are the plants fake or live?
There aren't any signs of ich, other fungal stuff, or parasites? anywhere on any of the fish?

My recommendation would be to sit and watch your tank for a while and see if you can spot anything else weird happening, with the danios and any others. If you can find any other symptoms it could help us give advice.

As it stands, keeping a close eye on them, a couple good water changes just make sure the water quality is good, and maybe a slime coat aid like stress coat or something. And time, hold the new fish in the qt and wait till the flashing stops, or you're able to get more info.
Obviously hard to say but ive seen danios flashing, could be more than two they all look the same haha! Theyve been in the tank two years. The plants are fake. Nope no spots no fungus and ive only seen the danio do it! Tho a few weeks back i saw one platy flash but not noticed it since. My white spot and parasite treatment says to use when you notice flashing so im.guessing i should dose the whole tank as they could all have something? Ive been doing my water changes i do two a week! Ill keep an eye on them for a few days! Yeah ill keep the fish in qt til i know for sure

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sarah1230ox said:
Obviously hard to say but ive seen danios flashing, could be more than two they all look the same haha! Theyve been in the tank two years. The plants are fake. Nope no spots no fungus and ive only seen the danio do it! Tho a few weeks back i saw one platy flash but not noticed it since. My white spot and parasite treatment says to use when you notice flashing so im.guessing i should dose the whole tank as they could all have something? Ive been doing my water changes i do two a week! Ill keep an eye on them for a few days! Yeah ill keep the fish in qt til i know for sure
I would hold off on dosing until you had a greater confirmation of something being wrong, if only to avoid putting undue stress on the fish. I asked about the plants to try and understand why the fish would be using them, but if they are plastic, it makes sense. Your water should be good then, I didn't know what your schedule was. Possibly consider softer cures then chemical meds, but if you're worried, dose the tank and see what happens over the next couple days.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SilverLake said:
I would hold off on dosing until you had a greater confirmation of something being wrong, if only to avoid putting undue stress on the fish. I asked about the plants to try and understand why the fish would be using them, but if they are plastic, it makes sense. Your water should be good then, I didn't know what your schedule was. Possibly consider softer cures then chemical meds, but if you're worried, dose the tank and see what happens over the next couple days.
Ph is around 7.8, ammonia is always 0 nitrite always 0 and nitrate between 10-20ish. Been cycled for a year and a half so pretty sure its not that. I just get worried! What could i try before using meds?

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Flyfisha said:
A question to consider. How many danios are in the school? Is it still as big a school as it always has been?
6 pearl danio theyve all been together from the start then i added 6 leopard danio a year or so ago but two got eaten by a goldie!! So theres now 4 leopards

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sarah1230ox said:
Ph is around 7.8, ammonia is always 0 nitrite always 0 and nitrate between 10-20ish. Been cycled for a year and a half so pretty sure its not that. I just get worried! What could i try before using meds?
Salt is my first thought, it works as a good all rounder to help. It works by essentially dehydrating any fungus, bacteria, or parasite that might be hurting the fish through osmosis, it is a pretty good first step treatment when your not sure what is wrong. Botanicals are another good choice, but they usually lead to tinted water and decaying plant matter in your tank, from the sound of it, that isn't quite what you want, that and they take a little while to build up potency. Meds like Pimafix or other botanical sourced products will work in this way, and are much less stressful then chemical meds. Chemical meds do have good uses tho, especially on advanced cases of a disease, or on diseases what are resistant to most treatments.

In your case, since you have a fish only tank you don't have to worry about using copper meds. Just make note if you do use them in you r main tank. the copper tends to linger unless it is targeted, and can adversely affect all invertebrates, shrimp, snails, etc...

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok as the school size is stable that emanates a stress “habit” or metal disorder.

Do you have a deworming routine?
When did you last lower the numbers of worms in their guts?
If the answer is you don’t know I would not hesitate to add medication. However I would measure extremely accurately the volume of medication and have a good guess at the actual volume of water in the tank allowing for water displacement from ornaments wood gravel etc.

We all have to decide for ourselves how and when to medicate.
I have a record of each time I dewormed all tanks.
All new fish get a treatment when under my care.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Flyfisha said:
Ok as the school size is stable that emanates a stress “habit” or metal disorder.

Do you have a deworming routine?
When did you last lower the numbers of worms in their guts?
If the answer is you don’t know I would not hesitate to add medication. However I would measure extremely accurately the volume of medication and have a good guess at the actual volume of water in the tank allowing for water displacement from ornaments wood gravel etc.

We all have to decide for ourselves how and when to medicate.
I have a record of each time I dewormed all tanks.
All new fish get a treatment when under my care.
I have never wormed my fish? I know fish can get them but thought you treat it if they have symptoms?! I do have a worming treatment i can use?

SilverLake said:
Salt is my first thought, it works as a good all rounder to help. It works by essentially dehydrating any fungus, bacteria, or parasite that might be hurting the fish through osmosis, it is a pretty good first step treatment when your not sure what is wrong. Botanicals are another good choice, but they usually lead to tinted water and decaying plant matter in your tank, from the sound of it, that isn't quite what you want, that and they take a little while to build up potency. Meds like Pimafix or other botanical sourced products will work in this way, and are much less stressful then chemical meds. Chemical meds do have good uses tho, especially on advanced cases of a disease, or on diseases what are resistant to most treatments.

In your case, since you have a fish only tank you don't have to worry about using copper meds. Just make note if you do use them in you r main tank. the copper tends to linger unless it is targeted, and can adversely affect all invertebrates, shrimp, snails, etc...
I have salt! Do i just dose once?
I also have melafix? Thank you!

Katie993

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mine are flashing too and I don't have any signs of anything either. They were treated for Ich about a month ago but still no signs of anything. I have noticed they do it more around feeding time or if something has changed in the tank. The only hing I've come up with is maybe its excitement. They're having babies like crazy and everything else seems good. Have you noticed anything like that with yours? I have 2 female guppies, 1 male platy, and 4 female platies in a HEAVILY planted 29 gallon tank so space, territory, and gender ratio shouldn't be an issue. Water parameters are all normal also.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
As I wrote we all have to decide how we medicate our livestock.

A person with a dog or cat MAY not wait for the signs of excessive parasites ?
A farmer does not wait to treat.
I can’t tell you how to look after your fish.
I did not deworm for my first 3 years.
I have talk to local club members about this , most of the time it comes down to expense.
A $300 dollar fish seems to get all help but $3 fish gets nothing.
Treating 200 litres is not cheap. For sure breeders don’t waste money treating fish before they sell them.

A farmer moves his animals from one paddock to another so they are not eating grass growing in fresh poop. How many times have you seen a fish mouth another fishes poop.?

Katie 993 ,danios drop eggs . Your pregnant Livebearers with 100 babies inside are allowed to feel a bit scratchy don’t you think?

Katie993

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Flyfisha said:
As I wrote we all have to decide how we medicate our livestock.

A person with a dog or cat MAY not wait for the signs of excessive parasites ?
A farmer does not wait to treat.
I can’t tell you how to look after your fish.
I did not deworm for my first 3 years.
I have talk to local club members about this , most of the time it comes down to expense.
A $300 dollar fish seems to get all help but $3 fish gets nothing.
Treating 200 litres is not cheap. For sure breeders don’t waste money treating fish before they sell them.

A farmer moves his animals from one paddock to another so they are not eating grass growing in fresh poop. How many times have you seen a fish mouth another fishes poop.?

Katie 993 ,danios drop eggs . Your pregnant Livebearers with 100 babies inside are allowed to feel a bit scratchy don’t you think?
lol I guess. Maybe I'm being a helicopter parent lol

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
johnbetta said:
I agree with flyfisha just a question do the gills look red or inflamed
Nope

Katie993 said:
Mine are flashing too and I don't have any signs of anything either. They were treated for Ich about a month ago but still no signs of anything. I have noticed they do it more around feeding time or if something has changed in the tank. The only hing I've come up with is maybe its excitement. They're having babies like crazy and everything else seems good. Have you noticed anything like that with yours? I have 2 female guppies, 1 male platy, and 4 female platies in a HEAVILY planted 29 gallon tank so space, territory, and gender ratio shouldn't be an issue. Water parameters are all normal also.
Oddly enough mine seem to do it around feeding time!

New Threads