Flashing Sword Tail, please help.

1. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I just got home from school and noticed my female sword is flashing on her right side every few seconds, or at least i think she is flashing(rubbing against things). I don't see any ich or velvet or any visible parasites/fungus etch. She is about 3-4 weeks gravid as well. Any ideas?

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

She might be trying to induce birth. Are any of your fish pestering her at all? Also, you should remember that fish do flash against things to remove some of their slime coat from time to time so she may be doing that.I wouldn't be too worried honestly.

3. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Yeah, she stopped. She is looking a lot more swelled today then this morning. I think i might be seeing this "boxy" form i hear of. The male is acting a tad off too. The barbs arn't bugging her but he isn't letting them near her. He's hanging around her a lot. At one point he was fallowing her, stopping and swimming backwards(not sure why) and the fallowing her again, he keeps doing that. Watching him swim backwards is weird. I don't think i have that much current. he isn't trying to breed though(not really chasing or embarrassing either, just fallowing at a distance). Thankfully the flashing stopped right after i posted this thread. Me thinks ill be a grandpa with a few days here.

4. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Glad it stopped. Once the male starts pecking at her gravid spot that means she is getting ready to drop fry.

5. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

I added a lot more watersprite tonight too keep the top covered as best i can until i can separate the fry.