Flashing/guppy has parasite?

Trua712

I recently got a male guppy (last week) and at this point i believe he has a parasite of some sort. Acting mostly normal all week but the last day or two has been acting strange. This morning i turned the light on and couldn’t find him but eventually saw him sitting on the bottom next to a piece of wood not moving. Poked him with the net and he started swimming normally. Then when i went to feed him he was at the surface, and i saw him “cough.” Just got home from the store and he is flashing against aquarium plants and glass. When he isnt doing that he is like shaking his body.
Aquarium is cycled, water parameters are good except the Ph from my tap is a little high (7.6-8), and all the other fish (7 cherry barbs) are acting normal.
My question is do you guys have any medication suggestions and/or diagnoses? Preferably a medication that won’t stain the water, mess up parameters, or harm my barbs.

ps i am planning on getting more guppies for him, but now i want to wait till he is healed.

Ksway

What are the parameters (results) that you tested for ? Nitrite ? Ammonia? Size of tank ? Maintenance routine? Also guppies like a higher pH so it shouldn't be the issue. How old is the set up? Can you add pics of the fish?

Trua712

Its a 20 gallon, nitrite and ammonia at 0, nitrate less than 20. My kit tests for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, total hardness, total alkalinity, and Ph

I try to do small daily water changes (10%) just because i have sand and the uneaten food really shows up on the bottom. Once a week I do larger water changes (25-50%)

tank is a little more than 3 weeks old, just to be save i had also dosed it with bacteria (i know they can be unreliable, just an extra supplement). No fish have died other than my young German Blue Ram last week. All the barbs seem to be doing well.

attached some photos of him. The first was taken right after adding him in. The others are taken just now but arent as good quality as he is darting around, glass surfing.

Attachments

• D003CC0F-28AF-427C-85A2-691C088D31D8.jpeg
    D003CC0F-28AF-427C-85A2-691C088D31D8.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 8E44F2BE-2D31-4CF2-9CA0-B9A194358E96.jpeg
    8E44F2BE-2D31-4CF2-9CA0-B9A194358E96.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 68F429A8-9408-46FC-BBF8-011D3EF6096A.jpeg
    68F429A8-9408-46FC-BBF8-011D3EF6096A.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 5FE0A64D-1158-4CCF-ABAD-E06EAFEB4B3E.png
    5FE0A64D-1158-4CCF-ABAD-E06EAFEB4B3E.png
    664.3 KB · Views: 17
  • D2331F96-67ED-49C3-822A-A452DD4C84CE.jpeg
    D2331F96-67ED-49C3-822A-A452DD4C84CE.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 17

Ksway

Can't see anything on him from the pics. The tank is the issue I would imagine. It is not cycled properly if its only three weeks old. I'm guessing you started with fish pretty much as soon as it set up. That is the issue he is probably feeling the effects from pH swings ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spikes. It is causing the itching. That would be the reason you lost the ram as well. Guppies and rams aren't that hardy of fish and are prone to parameter swings. If you use test strips, get yourself a proper test kit (API) the strips are inaccurate. Also don't test after a water change do it before. Keep changing water and adding bacteria and hopefully it will cycle soon but it will be hard with that amount of waste. Patience is hard learnt in fish keeping but it is crucial. Time is needed to cycle a tank.

Trua712

Can't see anything on him from the pics. The tank is the issue I would imagine. It is not cycled properly if its only three weeks old. I'm guessing you started with fish pretty much as soon as it set up. That is the issue he is probably feeling the effects from pH swings ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spikes. It is causing the itching. That would be the reason you lost the ram as well. Guppies and rams aren't that hardy of fish and are prone to parameter swings. If you use test strips, get yourself a proper test kit (API) the strips are inaccurate. Also don't test after a water change do it before. Keep changing water and adding bacteria and hopefully it will cycle soon but it will be hard with that amount of waste. Patience is hard learnt in fish keeping but it is crucial. Time is needed to cycle a tank.
Im seeing a white area on the dorsal fin. Was watching them and now the cherry barbs are flashing a lot. More than the guppy was. On at least one barb i can see a just a couple little white dots on their head and back.

im just looking for a good medication. Dealt with ich once before using “Nox Ich” which completely stained my water and all decor dark green and i think did more harm than good.

991393C4-1CB3-429A-AC96-B808ED5D94F2.jpeg
F43112D6-669E-4198-A5D4-46DA886E8897.jpeg
62C69FDB-07D4-4A50-B651-510F52890CC5.jpeg

look here. Behind the gill. Trying to decide if its flukes or ich. Someone please help!

Ksway

If they are scratching themselves it is most likely ich. Ich comes out in fish when they are stressed I'd imagine it is from the uncyled tank and unstable parameters. Use the ich medicine it will stain the water green but it won't stain sand or ornaments and will go away after water changes. It works the best for ich. You can also raise temperature of the tank to help get rid of ich. Also before medication vacume the substrate as ich lives in the substrate and attaches to the fish and do a water change.
Also what is the stocking level in the tank?

Trua712

If they are scratching themselves it is most likely ich. Ich comes out in fish when they are stressed I'd imagine it is from the uncyled tank and unstable parameters. Use the ich medicine it will stain the water green but it won't stain sand or ornaments and will go away after water changes. It works the best for ich. You can also raise temperature of the tank to help get rid of ich. Also before medication vacume the substrate as ich lives in the substrate and attaches to the fish and do a water change.
Also what is the stocking level in the tank?
Thanks for all the help. Just ran to the store and got “Fritz Coppersafe

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • MeganRoseM
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
MeganRoseM
  • Question
  • guppynamedbanana
  • Guppy
Replies