Flaring

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know when you look good, you can get full of yourself sometimes... but Kyler has really got me worried with his constant flaring with the lights on... I've been giving him time to adjust to the lighting and the reflections but he's just constantly flaring at his reflections.

I was looking at him today and noticed that his tail has become quite frayed, could this be caused from the flaring? I've been giving him a couple hours of light here and there, and he seems to have become a little less interested in flaring, but when the lights do come on, it still happens.

Also, a little off topic, but how can you tell if you have a Halfmoon? When he flares, his tail opens up to an angle that is so close to 180, if not there. Do you go by their flared tail?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Asinity said:
I know when you look good, you can get full of yourself sometimes... but Kyler has really got me worried with his constant flaring with the lights on... I've been giving him time to adjust to the lighting and the reflections but he's just constantly flaring at his reflections.

I was looking at him today and noticed that his tail has become quite frayed, could this be caused from the flaring? I've been giving him a couple hours of light here and there, and he seems to have become a little less interested in flaring, but when the lights do come on, it still happens.

Also, a little off topic, but how can you tell if you have a Halfmoon? When he flares, his tail opens up to an angle that is so close to 180, if not there. Do you go by their flared tail?
Could you post a pic of his tail? As far as the flaring goes, you could try things like a little lamp near the tank on low light, paper on the sides, or changing the room lighting and/or tank location to cause the light to be bouncing differently inside.. and some thick live plants along the sides could be an option if it's just certain spots.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is Kyler new? I have not been on the forum for a while so I'm still trying to catch up on all that has happened. If he is new I would not worry too much about the flaring. When I first got Fuego I thought he would go crazy, he wouldn't stop flaring. But, by several days later he had settled down.

To my knowledge flaring can't cause fin damage. If he is new I would guess he came infected with finrot but you are just now starting to notice the symptoms. Turn up the temp and do extra water changes, and if the fin doesn't start improving on its own then you'll need to medicate.

Finally, yes, a Betta's tail span is measured when they are flaring. Sounds like you may have a HM, or else a super delta.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yep, Kyler is new, I've had him for almost a week now - and it's quite exciting to know that I may have a halfmoon on my hands when I really just thought he was a super delta... I wish I could take a protractor to him, lol.

The damage is just mostly on his tail, the rest of his fins are looking okay for now. Really it just looks like the webbing has been snipped with scissors a little bit, still worries me though. I've got the temperature at 80, should I bump it up to 82 or so? Should I still give him light like normal or keep giving him 3-4 hour frames?

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've got the same problem! Dory's been in this tank for months now and I still can't turn the light on. Granted I haven't tried much, since it's incandescent and tends to drastically raise the temperature and I haven't been able to buy a flourescent yet. Hopefully he'll just love the new lighting so much that he'll stop... but I doubt it.

His flaring actually scared the **** out of me yesterday... I'd been treating cautiously with Bettafix and when I saw him flaring I thought he was having gill trouble from the melaleuca... so I did a massive 75% water change and added a carbon filter before realizing he was probably just angry at his reflection. Oh well

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
antisen said:
I've got the same problem! Dory's been in this tank for months now and I still can't turn the light on. Granted I haven't tried much, since it's incandescent and tends to drastically raise the temperature and I haven't been able to buy a flourescent yet. Hopefully he'll just love the new lighting so much that he'll stop... but I doubt it.

His flaring actually scared the **** out of me yesterday... I'd been treating cautiously with Bettafix and when I saw him flaring I thought he was having gill trouble from the melaleuca... so I did a massive 75% water change and added a carbon filter before realizing he was probably just angry at his reflection. Oh well
LOL.. isn't that part of the fun of being a Betta parent? when they freak you out and it's something like that, then you're like "you crazy fish!" but happy it was just a false alarm.

As far as Kyler's tail fin goes - could you post a pic of it. He does sound like he's got a bit of finrot and could use a treament of Fungus Clear or Maracyn-2 IF you see it get any worse, depending on how strong a med you want to start with. Be sure he's got nothing in the tank that might be snagging his tail fin too.

Hopefully he will settle down with the flaring soon. Sometimes our Betta will suddenly get into flaring at a spot or spots and after a few days settle down.. what size & type of tank do you have?

For antisen & Asinity - Have you tried non-glossy paper (like wrapping paper or scrapbooking paper) flat against the glass to see if he'll still flare at the spot the paper is at - if you have a rectangular glass tank?

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I can't post a pic at this time, my camera is dead. But the whole idea of snagging does make sense... I need to put something over the intake of the filter, I never thought much of it, but the first day he was in the tank his tail was stuck to it - although I never saw anything happen again, maybe that's what caused it.

It honestly looks more like tears than finrot... Maybe when the lights are turned on in my room I scared him and his tail got caught on a plastic plant.

What all can be done to encourage fin growth? I've done a water change tonight and will do another tomorrow, and will continue to watch him for now. It doesn't look like it's gotten worse, so maybe it was just a snag. Maybe I should invest in silk plants :-\

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, before I flipped out for no reason and took it all out of the water, the Bettafix was really helping Dory's tail grow. It's only been a week or two since I took him off meds and his tail is like 3/4 back to normal. That says a lot since it was split nearly in two to begin with! Just be real careful with Bettafix not to overdose... I would recommend using even a little less than the normal dosage. And I would only wait 5 days before doing a water change, not a week like the bottle suggests.

FLBettaCouple, I use the Hex tank, so I'm not sure how I would really execute the paper thing without being unable to see him! I think once I get the flourescent lighting, Dory's just going to have to man up and get used to it He can't be in the dark forever.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Asinity said:
I can't post a pic at this time, my camera is dead. But the whole idea of snagging does make sense... I need to put something over the intake of the filter, I never thought much of it, but the first day he was in the tank his tail was stuck to it - although I never saw anything happen again, maybe that's what caused it.

It honestly looks more like tears than finrot... Maybe when the lights are turned on in my room I scared him and his tail got caught on a plastic plant.

What all can be done to encourage fin growth? I've done a water change tonight and will do another tomorrow, and will continue to watch him for now. It doesn't look like it's gotten worse, so maybe it was just a snag. Maybe I should invest in silk plants :-\
You could try what we did for our Platy tank when one of them was dropping fry. we cut the netting off a net frame & used a clean rubber band to get the intake wrapped snug with the netting. Then the small stuff makes it thru, but bigger things (like a tail fin) don't. Not sure how effective it would be, but just a thought.

I'm not sure how effective it will be as we just started it with our Betta Aslan, but we're adding NovAqua+ to his aquarium to try to encourage fin regrowth.. but mostly I think just keeping the water clean & good on the ammonia, nitrites & nitrates is what's needed.

Silk or live plants, depending on which way you want to go.. java moss & java fern are good along with other plants that have big leaves. we started with plastic plants, but they weren't good for our Bettas.

antisen: i think Genie is having the same problem as you with her new Betta Spike, who's also in a 5 gallon hex. maybe the 2 of you can come up with a solution that would make both Bettas happy little guys.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I bought some BettaFix for him, it looks like it's gotten a little worse than it was, so I'd like to start medicating him. It looks though like this bottle will only treat his tank for a few days, would it be okay if I treated him with 3 doses and then went from there, or should I get another bottle or two? Should I use the dosage of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon?

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
If it is in fact rotting and not just torn, I would suggest using a more powerful medication than Bettafix (which is really more like an herbal remedy). My personal suggestion is Jungle Labs Fungus Clear Tank Buddies because that was what cured Dory's tail rot. Bettafix helps damaged fins grow back, but it doesn't cure or stop fin rot from getting worse.

Also, how big is your tank?

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
5.5 gallon.

I don't recall seeing anything by Jungle Labs at my pet store, Maracyn 2 maybe?

How can you tell if it's rot? Will there be any markings on the fins?

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
if somebody can let me know what to do here I'd really appreciate it. I'm not sure if I should use the BettaFix or if I should buy Maracyn2 or something like that... I still have a couple Maracyn2 pills, but they expired last month so I really can't see them being very useful...

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would suggest medicating and holding off on the Bettafix for now.

Here is what the tabs look like if you haven't see them, it might help you find them if your pet store does in fact carry them:
https://www.petmountain.com/show_product/105491
If you have a Walmart with a pet department near you, they tend to carry Jungle Labs products. And for cheap

I wouldn't use the expired medication, so either way you will probably have to go out and buy something, unfortunately. Maracyn 2 did not work for me but it has apparently worked for others. Another thing people try is a combination of Maracyn and Maracyn 2 together to cover all the bases with possible bacteria types. Some people also report success with TriSulfa, but I have never used it myself so I wouldn't know.

So again I would try the Fungus Clear first if you can find it, but if not the Maracyn/Maracyn 2 combo is my second suggestion. If someone has had success with TriSulfa maybe they could recommend that for a third choice.

I wish you and Kyler the very best of luck; I know how frustrating and somewhat scary fin rot can be.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We got our Fungus Clear tablets at walmart & antisen's right.. they were a significant amount cheaper than petco. We also have treated fin rot with them and had success. We've not tried Maracyn-2 or TriSulfa, the Maracyn/Maracyn-2 combo or other antibiotic cocktails out there yet. Every med has helped different Bettas, but it seems like overall the highest success rate is with fungus clear.

I'd recommend taking out any decor you don't want stained - it really does stain well and don't handle the tablets if you can, we just cut the pocket open and drop the tablet in. And I'd do a partial water change before starting the Fungus Clear. We join antisen in wishing you & Kyler the best.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Also don't forget to take your filter bag out during this time or it will just siphon out the medecine.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
poefox said:
Also don't forget to take your filter bag out during this time or it will just siphon out the medecine.
If you have a filter setup that you can just take out the carbon, that'd be good since the carbon is what absorbs the meds.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Any other suggestions? Wal Mart here doesn't carry that medicine... the rot is getting worse...

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can you get: Maracyn-2? TriSulfa? Maracyn?

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I can get Maracyn, but where I don't know. My local store has been out of all Maracyns for 2 months now... Problem is everything is closed tomorrow, I really want to start medicating Kyler soon, would 3 days of BettaFix at least slow this down? This would give me time to actually find meds, because I didn't even notice it the last time I was at Petsmart.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom