flame red cardinals

chuckb330

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello All,

I recently got into the saltwater side of fish keeping. I currently have a 29 gallon biocube FOWLR setup. I have 2 green chromis, a pair of flame red cardinals, some misc. snails.
Last night my cardinals bred,now the male is holding the eggs in his mouth. Anyone have any info on how long he will hold the eggs, and any special care needed to raise the fry. Sorry so long, but was not expecting this.

Thanks,
Chuck

nippybetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't know anything about breeding saltwater fish, but congrats on the fry. I hope they make it.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All cardinalfishes are mouthbrooders that incubate the eggs until hatching for about 7 to 8 days after fertilization. Except for the Banggai Cardinalfish which lacks a pelagic phase, after hatching the larvae develop in the pelagic realm for around 25 days. It can be very difficult to get the larvae out of the main tank into a growing tank so transfer the male into the grow-out tank on day 5 or 6. Small rotifers are good first foods. Metamorphosis happens between days 23 to 34.
Source - paraphrased from the book Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes - Wittenrich

That is an incredible book to own if you're serious about breeding saltwater fish.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads