Flame Hawkfish & CUC

gloryofthe80s

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello all,

I've never kept a Flame Hawkfish before, but my partner is determined to have one, so I was hoping for some advice on keeping them.

My understanding is that they will eat pretty much anything that will fit in their mouths, so I wanted to know: how true is this? Can I keep them with cleaner shrimp? And are there any species of dwarf hermit drabs that would be safe, or do I need to look at a bigger species?

Cheers,
Andy

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Never had one but what I have read they are good fish. Most don't mess with cuc but like all fish it depends on that fish

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
gloryofthe80s said:
Hello all,

I've never kept a Flame Hawkfish before, but my partner is determined to have one, so I was hoping for some advice on keeping them.

My understanding is that they will eat pretty much anything that will fit in their mouths, so I wanted to know: how true is this? Can I keep them with cleaner shrimp? And are there any species of dwarf hermit drabs that would be safe, or do I need to look at a bigger species?

Cheers,
Andy
I plan to get one of these in my reef tank. So from my understanding, I have read multiple experiences of people's Flame Hawkfish being fine for the first few months or so and so on. But as time went on they seem "turn on" the shrimp and eat them. Like what you hear for eels, "Keep them well fed or else they will find a way to eat." that does not go for the Flame Hawkfish, they will eat them no matter how well they are fed. But then again, every fish is different, some people have eels that will not eat a goby. So I would try and look at the bigger species of shrimp, but that may not even work because someone said the hawkish would nosedive the shrimp and kill it.

OP
gloryofthe80s

gloryofthe80s

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rcslade124 said:
Never had one but what I have read they are good fish. Most don't mess with cuc but like all fish it depends on that fish
That's what I'm afraid of: having one turn rogue and eating the cleaners and hermits. Maybe I'll just have to get an emerald crab and snails instead.

New Threads