Flame gourami

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Shortfuuzze, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

Today I noticed my flame gourami, Blaze, had long white stringy poop trailing behind him....almost like spider silk. I've also noticed the last 4/5 days his eating habits has dropped off quite a bit. When he does swim to the surface to eat it's only a flake or two.

He's very slow in his movements, not like his fins are moving slow just as in the speed he's swimming. He's also been spending a lot of time in the same spot, bout 4" below water line, "staring" at the heater.

The absolute only thing I have done differently in the past week was I added liquid Co2 for my plants. Recommended dosage was about 2.5ml for my tank, I added 2ml.

I've noticed him go for surface air more often lately so....did I screw him up?? I worried and did a 60% water change about an hour ago

*my girlfriend thinks he doesn't look as colorful lately either. I cannot say I agree or disagree because I haven't taken much notice of his color till she said something

EDIT: all other fish in tank are swimming and eating just fine. No behavior change

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like an internal parasite, which sadly, I don't know much about treating.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If it's a parasite, it may be an older change that you're just now seeing the effects of. When did you get him and when did you last add other fish?

4. OP
    OP
    Shortfuuzze

All fish have been in the tank about 3/4 months now....

Angel and gourami came from a 10 gallon I bought about 10 months ago.....

3 rosey tetra, 3 black fin tetra, 3 neon tetra were added when I upgraded tanks 3/4 months ago.

* I'm aware I need more of each tetra....working on larger tank

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It's possible that he had it from the beginning. An angel and a DG in a 10 gal was likely stressful for both. I know other members have had more experience with treating internal parasite infections, and should be able to offer some good medication suggestions.

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

7. OP
    OP
    Shortfuuzze

Ya think so DoubleDutch??? I've read a little about it but he never showed any signs....had him about 10 months now.....that would really sucks!

8. OP
    OP
    Shortfuuzze

Well he's quarantined for now in a 10 gallon tank.....see how he does over the next few days. I really hope none of my other fish get sick because of this!!

9. DoubleDutch

10 months is quite long for Irido-symptoms to appear so hoping/thinking I am wrong. Is their some algae (wafers) in its diet ???

10. OP
    OP
    Shortfuuzze

No algae wafers in its diet....flakes and frozen blood worms for his diet.....does he need algae wafers??

11. DoubleDutch

You could buy some "green" flakes as well.
    The natural diet of gouramies (though flames aren't a natural variaty) does contain algae / plantparts aso.
    The diet given is often too proteinrich which can cause healthproblems !

12. OP
    OP
    Shortfuuzze

Thnx for the help doubledutch! Really appreciate it

13. DoubleDutch

You're welcome : fingers crossed your fish will get better !!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice