Flame Gourami Died Suddenly

FrustratedFishKeeper

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this perplexing death of my flame gourami yesterday. He had been living in a well-established 30 gallon tank for a little over 2 months now, and last night he suddenly died out of nowhere. I last observed him swimming around normally and exhibiting no unusual behavior whatsoever, and less than an hour later he was dead at the bottom of the tank. All my water parameters are perfectly fine, 0 ammonia, no spikes or drops in temperature, and the most recent water change was four days prior. There was no evidence of trauma, no nipped fins, no lacerations. No signs of disease and no other visible evidence of disease within the tank. Every other fish in the aquarium seems perfectly fine as well.

When I was google searching earlier I kept coming upon this Sudden Gourami Death Syndrome, which seems like it would fit the bill as the reason he died, however upon further reading there are still tell-tale signs of this syndrome such as lethargy, bloating, lack of appetite and floating near the surface, and my gourami wasn't exhibiting any of these (and again, I had just seen him active less than an hour before his death).

Of all my fish tanks, this one has given me the least amount of problems and has been established for quite some time. I've been continually checking my parameters every couple of hours throughout the day and everything appears to be normal, as well as the behavior of all the fish.

One thing I was reading about was the potential that he could have choked to death(??) The only reason this caught my attention is because sometimes the gourami would swim around with some plant matter in his mouth (it was pretty cute actually). He would swim around with it in his mouth for a minute or two and then spit it out. I would usually catch him with a piece in his mouth when it was getting close to feeding time, and he was spew it out of his mouth the second the flakes hit the surface. The first couple times I observed this I was actually quite alarmed and wondered if it was a potential choking hazard, as I have read that mouth obstructions can prevent their gills from functioning properly. However, when I found my gourami dead he had nothing in his mouth that I could see, but I didn't know if there was a possibility that something could have been lodged far back in his throat.

So anyway, if anyone has ever heard of this before or knows what could have been the reason for his death please share your knowledge! Thanks in advance.

TheAnglerAquarist

I’m guessing it was dgd
Sorry for your loss

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Dwarf gouramis are unfortunately extremely overbred and they die for no apparent reason because of this

Upvote 0

FrustratedFishKeeper

Dang, I was unaware. Well thanks for the feedback everyone, it helps to shed some light on this. I appreciate all the replies!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bruinfishkeeper1
Replies
Views
UnknownGuppyLover
Replies
Views
glassescat
Replies