Flame Dwarf Gourami Gender, please help!

FlamegouramiJ

Hey everyone I’m new on here and really need help with figuring out the gender of my Flame Dwarf Gourami, any input would be greatly appreciated!! This is my first Gourami, I usually raise cichlids so this is all new to me. I purchased it about a week ago and have been searching the web daily about how to tell the gender and the only type I can’t find photos to compare to is the flame dwarf gourami. I’d really like to get another dwarf gourami as a tank mate ASAP but I don’t want to accidentally put 2 males in and cause problems. I’m going to add a few pics of this guy to show why I’m confused, the colors are so vibrant but the dorsal is rounded rather than pointed so I’m just a little thrown off because those are traits of both male and female dwarf gourami. Please give any input you can, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

Attachments

• 886B529A-B1C9-41A1-A0E0-8E6E6A411FF6.jpeg
    886B529A-B1C9-41A1-A0E0-8E6E6A411FF6.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 36
  • EF3315A1-8705-4832-9F23-927F071D11A8.jpeg
    EF3315A1-8705-4832-9F23-927F071D11A8.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 39
  • 3C13E3C1-B1F5-4699-A653-3843E051C3B7.jpeg
    3C13E3C1-B1F5-4699-A653-3843E051C3B7.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 35

LHAquatics

Looks like a female

Upvote 0

FlamegouramiJ

Looks like a female
Thank you, I was just confused because I’ve been reading that most dwarf gourami types have dull colored females and bright males. But that dorsal on mine is so rounded. The lady at the pet store didn’t really know too much about the breed so couldn’t really give me an answer on gender when I purchased it

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

I'm fairly sure that's a male. The females don't have the color...are more silvery. The body shape is often a little different too.

Upvote 0

FlamegouramiJ

I'm fairly sure that's a male. The females don't have the color...are more silvery. The body shape is often a little different too.
Would it be possible that the dorsal is rounded because it hasn’t reached full maturity yet?

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

Would it be possible that the dorsal is rounded because it hasn’t reached full maturity yet?
He looks mature to me. I think yours just has a bit more rounded dorsal fin than most. They do have some variation in their fins sometimes. And, considering how line bred dwarf gourami can be, I'd not be too surprised to see some fish that don't perfectly fit a textbook description.

Still, I'm not a gourami breeder or anything like that. So, perhaps someone with more experience with gouramis can chime in.

Upvote 0

FlamegouramiJ

He looks mature to me. I think yours just has a bit more rounded dorsal fin than most. They do have some variation in their fins sometimes. And, considering how line bred dwarf gourami can be, I'd not be too surprised to see some fish that don't perfectly fit a textbook description.

Still, I'm not a gourami breeder or anything like that. So, perhaps someone with more experience with gouramis can chime in.
I appreciate the feedback, I’m thinking it’s a male too now that you say that

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

I thought it was a male because of the round dorsal fin, I also thought it was good because females are usually silvery color

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

This is 100% male, the size of the dorsal is more important than the roundness and colour is far too vibrant to be a female. I think the "flame" females typically have a slight red hue to them but usually nothing as extreme as in the link posted, more brown to silvery.

That link does showoff the size difference in the fins compared to your male.

I will advise caution on adding the female, the male could react quite aggressively towards her when you add her and go as far as killing her. Dwarfs also have an atrocious health record, which in my opinion makes them more trouble than they are worth.

I feel like I sum up my feelings on this a little better in this article if you feel like reading it.. My thoughts on Dwarf Gourami/Trichogaster Lalius

Upvote 0

FlamegouramiJ

This is 100% male, the size of the dorsal is more important than the roundness and colour is far too vibrant to be a female. I think the "flame" females typically have a slight red hue to them but usually nothing as extreme as in the link posted, more brown to silvery.

That link does showoff the size difference in the fins compared to your male.

I will advise caution on adding the female, the male could react quite aggressively towards her when you add her and go as far as killing her. Dwarfs also have an atrocious health record, which in my opinion makes them more trouble than they are worth.

I feel like I sum up my feelings on this a little better in this article if you feel like reading it.. My thoughts on Dwarf Gourami/Trichogaster Lalius
Thank you for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it. After reading that I’ve decided I’m just going to keep him solo with a few tetras and a cory or two

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Flameandneon
  • Question
Replies
Views