flame dwarf gourami belly swollen !

1. phil saint

phil saint Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    am i right in thinking that female gourami are not as brightly coloured as the male and have a less pointed dorsal fin than the male ??? iv just notice that the one i belive to be female is very swollen around the belly area above the vent. could it be filling with eggs ??? i havent seen a bubble nest either in the tank or being constructed not that im even sure where or how big a bubble nest would be ! or could there be something wrong with the fish ???

thanks in advance phil

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +158
    hi phil :)
    yes you are correct on the fems less colorful and more rounded dorsal fin....so its possible she could be egg bound...try fasting the tank for a day, then go 2 days with just feeding small bits of frozen/thawed/shelled peas...the bellies are the size of their eyes so cut them up small ..then repeat for a week..it wont hurt the other fish and it will help you know if your baby is constipated or egg bound..if you can do this with just her in a breeder net, that would be better..but if not, the tank wont suffer from having a few peas :)

3. OP
    OP
    phil saint

phil saint Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks......i feed every 2 days and today was an off day so i'll start the peas tommorrow, my mum (she used to keep fish back in the day) sugested a thin slice of cucumber, iv also seen this done in a shop but i have no idea about the pros and cons of doing it ? im currently cycling a new aquarium (not ready yet) so the breader net will have to make do for now.

4. Shawnie

Ratings:
    +158
    if your fish will eat it, cucumbers are great..as well as zuchinni , big leafed lettuce, spinach....veggies are great just remember to take them out the next day if they arent eaten...and sometimes it takes them a few weeks to get use to it :)

5. OP
    OP
    phil saint

phil saint Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks again shawnie

6. Shawnie

Ratings:
    +158
    welcome phil :)