Flake Food Damp In autofeeder

Joker666

Hi, the interior of my autofeeder was slight damp after i washed it, and i put in flakes in there. Can the slight damp flakes harm my fish?! Or will they be fine?

PlantedCommunityTank132

Hi, the interior of my autofeeder was slight damp after i washed it, and i put in flakes in there. Can the slight damp flakes harm my fish?! Or will they be fine?
I feel like the flakes might mold after some time, if they don't get fed fast enough, but don't take my word for it

Blacksheep1

I’d be worried about the mould thing too but also you may not get the correct feeding amounts if the flakes are damp and clumping together. Either none or too much .

I’d be tempted to empty it , wash again and dry it thoroughly, probably with a hair dryer on medium temp if you’re in a rush or over night if not.

ProudPapa

I've never used an auto feeder, but if flake food gets wet I have doubts that the machine will dispense it properly.

AddictedAquarist

I had some issues with an auto feeder being over the only whole in a lid and being too close. As a result moisture built up in the barrel of the feeder and I had lots of clumping, poor feeding amounts, and some mold on the food. I would recommend tossing the moist food, rerinsing the feeder, and letting it dry overnight. Maybe even hit it from a distance with a hairdryer haha

Joker666

I’d be worried about the mould thing too but also you may not get the correct feeding amounts if the flakes are damp and clumping together. Either none or too much .

I’d be tempted to empty it , wash again and dry it thoroughly, probably with a hair dryer on medium temp if you’re in a rush or over night if not.
Alright thank you

, i have a question, so i fed my fish refrigerated flakes. And when the flakes were stored inside a ziplock bag and put inside the fridge, im noticing the inside of the ziplock bag got slightly wet and im guessing the flakes too got wet a little bit. Am i good? My fish wont get sick right?
Is it true that if you constantly open the fish food container, it catches a lot of moisture and air and can make your fish sick. Should you store some small amounts of fish food(dry food)in a separate small container and refrigerate for freshness?

Frank the Fish guy

Your fish food has an expiration date that you can check. The containers are designed to store it through that date. Expired food loses it nutritional value and needs to be replaced. So just buy in small enough quantities that you can use it before it expires.

Many fish food have a desiccant in the container. Leave that in and you want have problems with moisture.

The food will only get rancid if you get it wet and let it rot.

Always good to keep it in the fridge if you can. But not necessary.

Joker666

Your fish food has an expiration date that you can check. The containers are designed to store it through that date. Expired food loses it nutritional value and needs to be replaced. So just buy in small enough quantities that you can use it before it expires.

Many fish food have a desiccant in the container. Leave that in and you want have problems with moisture.

The food will only get rancid if you get it wet and let it rot.

Always good to keep it in the fridge if you can. But not necessary.
First of all, what do you mean by desiccant? And two, can I like have a small container, and store 2 days of food quantity inside of that container. Then store that container inside the fridge and feed them? Will it lose its nutritional value or is that a good method?
Does keeping it in the fridge make it fresher?

Frank the Fish guy

Dessicant is a little pouch that absorbs moisture.

Yes, keeping your food in the fridge will help it last longer.

Joker666

Dessicant is a little pouch that absorbs moisture.

Yes, keeping your food in the fridge will help it last longer.
Can i store small quantities in a smaller container then fridgerate it. Also im noticing im getting vapor inside of the container, will my food get moisture and spoil? Can i feed it to my fish?
Is it normal for the food container to have vapor inside and outside of it? Can i still feed em that food

Frank the Fish guy

No, there should not be moisture. It must be very humid where you are. Check if the food is clumping together and if it smells bad. If so, don't feed to your fish. Your fridge will keep the moisture down, so store your food there. You can also reuse any silca gel packet as a desiccant in your food containers.

Joker666

No, there should not be moisture. It must be very humid where you are. Check if the food is clumping together and if it smells bad. If so, don't feed to your fish. Your fridge will keep the moisture down, so store your food there. You can also reuse any silca gel packet as a desiccant in your food containers.
It is not humid where i live i stored my food in the fridge thats why there is vapor, the food does not smell bad but i noticed it clumps. I fed to my fish can anything happen?!

Frank the Fish guy

That is just condensation.

You are trapping moist air in the container.

Allow the food to cool before sealing.

SparkyJones

No need to refrigerate dry fish food. Buy in quantities you will use before it expires.
If you have concerns about moisture store the food in a dry cool place but don't refrigerate, you'll get condensation.
I have a lot of fish, I buy a 7 oz can of flakes a month, I use the small cans to daily feed and refill those off the big can so the big can only gets opened like once a week.
I'm in south Florida, high humidity and never had an issue doing this but if I opened the big can every feeding for a month it might be funky by the halfway point to the last quarter of the can.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
shadowfish
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
shutterbug13
  • Question