Flagyl turns water cloudy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HELP! I used flagyl(metronidazole) to treat hexamita for my discus but the other day the water turned cloudy! What should I do about it? PLEASE NEED A QUICK REPLY!!!!!!
arky Also tried to change 50% but in vain...

Last edited:

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi there DaraRs,

There are several reasons as to why water goes cloudy. Are you sure it is the new medication? Have you tested your water since medicating to ensure parametres are correct?

I've actually just started treatment on my tank using Metronidazole. My vet told me to do a 15% water change every second day whilst treating. He also said that it can throw your balance out on biological filtration which I gather is why he told me to do frequent water changes.

Adding activated carbon to your filter should help clear the water however it will also take the Metronidazole out of the water.

Hopefully someone else will jump in and help as well as I have limited experience.

OP
DaroRs

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey!

I've removed the discus. I couldn't even see for more than 5cm at the back of the aquarium. Well I've read that sugar may have caused it because it reacts with bacterias or something like that(the Flagyl I used contains sugar). I just don't know.... I made another water change but it's still cloudy. If I can't treat it with metronidazole I don't know what I should do......

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey!

I've removed the discus. I couldn't even see for more than 5cm at the back of the aquarium. Well I've read that sugar may have caused it because it reacts with bacterias or something like that(the Flagyl I used contains sugar). I just don't know.... I made another water change but it's still cloudy. If I can't treat it with metronidazole I don't know what I should do......
Actually that reminds me of something my vet also told me. I asked him about the liquid form because I thought it would be easier to administer. He said that liquid Metronidazole contains sugar so he doesn't like using it. Instead he gave me tablets and told me to crush them up in warm water before adding to tank. Maybe getting tablet form Metronidazole instead will prevent your water going cloudy.

OP
DaroRs

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can I can give him the medication with a syringe after getting it out of water for a short moment? Is sugar bad for fish?

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can I can give him the medication with a syringe after getting it out of water for a short moment? Is sugar bad for fish?
I'm not too sure what you mean here. I'm picturing you trying to drip medication into the discus' mouth in which case I have no idea if that's possible.

Another option is to mix Flagyl into food so your discus eat it. The best way is to thaw frozen food, add meds to food then re-freeze in a plastic bag. Make sure you flaten the mixture out in the bag before freezing so when it's frozen you can crack off a nice piece.

I've also read here on the forum of people making their own frozen food mix where they also add meds to it. This link has a few ideas: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/fish-food/26847-making-my-own-food.html

I'm not sure how much Flagyl to mix in though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom