Flagfin Angelfish Question

1. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

HI there all,

Has anyone kept a juvi Flagfin?

If so, how long did it live?

I read that they are very dificult to keep, mine has been doing great. I have had him for 7 months now, but not sure how long they live in captivity inorder to consider it a success.

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I will say that I haven't kept one personally, but my experience working for a LFS would tell me that you're doing a good job. :)
    Flagfins, unfortunately, tend to ship poorly and are generally difficult to feed at first. I've seen quite a few not even make it to customers' tanks.

3. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

True, generally speaking that tends to be one of the problems in keeping saltwater fish. I have read that even when the Flagfin or other saltwater fish (White Cheek Tang, Morish Idol, Clarion Angelfish are some) even when they are doing fine they tend to die. They just drop dead one day, that is why I was aking about how long they stay alive. I hope to see him change colors. I hope he lives for along time, but just wondering what others that have them have to say. Thanks for the comment though.

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Interesting, I hadn't heard that about the flagfins. I was under the impression that they tend to do ok once you get them eating, but getting them to eat could be challenging. Kind of like the regal angel. Maybe not though, that's just what I have read.

5. nemo addict Well Known Member Member

A lot to do with the above comment is that when a fish doesnt have its dietry needs it can have a tendency to just die , like your angel , its main diet is sponges , but with the advancement and understanding in marine foods fish do tend to survive better, as mentioned above the morish idol is also a sponge eater , and dont tend to adapt very well to captive life and normally just starve to death , on the other hand manderines tend to do better and survive longer now due to foods as there main diet is copepods , but do adapt easier now then 10 years ago,

6. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Well, see my keyhole died because he did not take to the comercial food, thus he starved to death. My flagfin on the other hand took really well to comercial food and eats like a pig. Till now he is doing great and he is going to 8 months. Is it nearly accurate to assume he will be fine as far as not dying because of lack of utrition? Also, I have read in forums that what makes fish dificult to keep often times it's not their diet, but their survival rate. Like I said they just drop dead out of no apparent reason. That's why I was wondering if any one had one from juvi, like mine, and how long did it survive.
    I had a morish idol that took really well to comercial food aswell, but with him the problem was the tank mates. They pretty much bullied him to death. Now if I decide to keep another one it will be definetly with peaceful fish and not ones that appear to be peacefull.