Fixing up a 10 Gallon?

riptide904

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My 10 became overrun by tadpole snails a while back, preventing me from getting anymore fish since the bioload was already overstocked. Recently I purchased two Assassin snails and I'm trying to cut back on feeding to at least bring the population down, if not eradicate them all. This tank has never really had a planned out, full stocking, as it was purchased as a bigger home for two rescue guppies and played host to mollies and various shrimp in the past few months. I want to make this a nice community tank with lots of color, since I'm going to completely redo the aquascaping and add more live plants.

Current permanent residents:
2x male guppies
2x Assassin snails
2x two month old mollies

The mollies are what's left of a disastrous attempt in breeding that ended with losing nearly all the fry and the mother (The father had been rehomed already to a school tank, but my sister said he and a few guppies mysteriously disappeared a few days ago. This science class is prone to "losing" things, their clownfish was stolen last year and the teacher interrogated every student who had ever been in the room. They also recently found their leopard gecko hiding behind a counter after he disappeared last year, still looking healthy and well fed, to everyone's confusion...)
Back to the mollies, since they're still pretty young I plan to keep them in this tank for a little less than a year (If they live that long, I've always had trouble keeping mollies healthy), at which point I'll either rehome them or buy another tank. I haven't figured out if they're male or female yet, but you might as well count them into the bioload.

So, is my tank already overstocked, or could I potentially add more fish? I've been looking at pencilfish, but I hardly know anything about them. Other fish I'm interested in (Not neccessarily together, but I want to know if any could work with my current stock) are rummy nose tetras (How many?) , lemon tetras, dwarf chain loaches, & cardinal tetras.

Any suggestions would be very welcome, but I'd like to have some bright colors and/or bold patterns for my tank.

Bumblebat

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't put anything else in there so the mollies have room to grow. They're quite messy and boisterous. I think you'll find yourself in need of a solution significantly sooner than a year. They can grow very fast. I personally wouldn't put any of the schooling fish you named in a 10 gallon. It's not so much a bioload issue as it is a swim space issue. You could fit a few in, but they wouldn't be particularly happy or active. Cardinals also get too large for a 10 gallon with their activity level. I'd just leave it as is until you can find a place for your mollies. Good luck.

OP
R

riptide904

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright. I somewhat exhausted my fish funds when I spent all my Christmas money on a bigger goldfish tank. I've been thinking that if I can get some more cash (Birthday soon-woo!) I'll move the goldfish up to maybe a 30 or larger if I can get it on craigslist (I learned the hard way not to pay full price for smaller tanks- I paid nearly $90 for a twenty at Petco, and saw the exact same tank for $30 later that week! > ) Then I can move my tropical community to the 20, and use the 10 as a quarantine or betta tank. Would any of the fish I listed do better in a 20? It's a tall, not a long, but it's longer than my tens by nearly a foot. It'll take a lot of convincing for my mom to let me get another tank!

Bumblebat

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
riptide904 said:
Alright. I somewhat exhausted my fish funds when I spent all my Christmas money on a bigger goldfish tank. I've been thinking that if I can get some more cash (Birthday soon-woo!) I'll move the goldfish up to maybe a 30 or larger if I can get it on craigslist (I learned the hard way not to pay full price for smaller tanks- I paid nearly $90 for a twenty at Petco, and saw the exact same tank for $30 later that week! > ) Then I can move my tropical community to the 20, and use the 10 as a quarantine or betta tank. Would any of the fish I listed do better in a 20? It's a tall, not a long, but it's longer than my tens by nearly a foot. It'll take a lot of convincing for my mom to let me get another tank!
You could do either 5 lemon tetras or 5 rummynoses in a 20 standard (I wouldn't do both, but that's just me,) but I'd still say no to the cardinals. I think the minimum I would do cardinals in would be a 30. But again, that's just me

New Threads