Fixing mystery snail shell?

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have an elderly mystery snail with some shell damage. Despite adding cuttlebone to my tank, he still has some pitting and it worries me. I found a tutorial on how to help patch snail shells with part of an eggshell. I would be using that and aquarium safe superglue. I’ll also be putting my snail in a thin layer of aquarium water so he stays wet. Is it a good idea to do this, or will it do more harm than good?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think I would only do that if it was looking more like a hole. Maybe try liquid calcium?

OP
erinw347

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Blueberrybetta said:
Could you post a picture? Are you feeding him veggies?
Best pics I could find. I feed him a food formulated for snails and blanched zucchini, he eats leftover sinking wafers as well

Attachments

OP
erinw347

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
StarGirl15 said:
That really doesn't look that bad if hes old.
He is. I just want to keep him living as long as possible as he’s still so healthy.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wouldnt go to the extreme of using super glue unless you can physically see part of his body sticking out of his shell. If theres just cracks and dents, I wouldn't try so hard to 'glue' them then. I would just add some extra calcium in his diet and an extra variety of boiled & blanched vegetables like kale, green beans, zucchini, broccoli, etc..
Their shells eventually wear down and get more delicate as they get older, so it would make sense for him to have some dings, especially if you have some driftwood or decor.

Again, unless there is part of his flesh/body sticking out (which I dont see) then I wouldn't bother with super glue. It may just add more stress at his age.

New Threads