Fixing my tank with TSS Help 

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After another failure with TSS, my readings for my 10 gallon tank are 0 ppm ammonia and 0.50 ppm nitrite. I have done continuous 50% WC's trying to get my tank to cycle and it still has not after 10 days. In order to try and get my tank to cycle again, I am going to use TSS this time. I feel so stupid now, as I realized why it failed: I used Aqua Safe within less than 24 hours and I did not shake the bottle. As of right now, all my tank is stocked with is an oto. Since I am have been using Prime to detoxify ammonia, do I just do a large water change w/ Aqua Safe, wait 24 hours, and then add the TSS? I want to make sure I do this right this time and not waste $10-$15 lol. Also, I really want a betta in my 10 gallon. So can I add him with the TSS as well? Thanks

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cycling is really frustating.
A couple of things as I understand them:
When using TSS, you don't do daily water changes
Don't use any detoxifiers (like prime)
You're supposed to add the fish with or very soon after adding the TSS.

If it were me, I'd do a large water change and use aqua safe. Wait 24 hours then add the TSS.
Let it ride for at least 10 days, no water changes or testing.

Good luck!

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Lucy,

Can I add a Betta tomorrow as well with the TSS?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would. TSS is designed to use with fish. I imagine a little oto wouldn't create enough waste to feed the bacteria.

What is your nitrate reading?

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree 100% with what Lucy said. You really want to change out as much of the existing water as possible, so that there is no residual Prime left in the tank to hamper your chances of success.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have not tested my nitrate yet, but I will. I am about to change 75% of the water in order to get the Prime out and then add aqua safe. Will that successfully get the Prime out? Tomorrow after 24 hrs, I will add Betta and TSS.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also should I add the betta today? That way ammonia can be produced before I add the TSS tomorrow. I know ammonia is 0 and nitrite should be extremely small as I am doing a huge water change.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i would.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oto's are know for being sensitive and a 75% water change all at once could be too much for the little guy. If it were me, I would do 40% water changes for 3 days using AquaSafe. Then wait 24 hours after the last 40% water change and then add your SafeStart.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to put the Betta in a day early since between the Betta and the Oto you shouldn't be getting too much ammonia too fast.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oops, I already did the 75% water change, but I made sure the temp and pH were around the same. I am about to go out and buy the betta. How do you judge which one will be the most healthy and active as they all look very unactive in that small cup?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Are all of your guppies dead? If not, adding a betta is not a good idea.

You don't need Aquasafe *and* Prime. Prime does the work of Aquasafe and thensome.

Honestly, if it were me, I would pass on another trial of TSS and just wait for the tank to cycle naturally. Huge water changes in a 10 gallon are pretty easy. But if you do still want to do the TSS, you will probably have better success if you double the dose. I think it's somewhere in the Q&A with Tetra that you should use a double dose if you already have fish.

-Lisa

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My LFS took back all of my guppies so I just have 1 oto. That's why I am going to add the betta. I didn't get a chance to buy it today, but I will buy one tomorrow.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Which bottle should I buy? I don't want to waste money as TSS is pretty expensive. Would you recommend the bottle up to 15 gallons (I have used this before) or the next bottle up? Thanks

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads