Fixing Flushness Problems With Styrofoam?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by EMcT1985, Apr 11, 2018.

1. EMcT1985New MemberMember

I recently made a DIY fishtank stand for my new 20 gallon tank. I was careful to get straight pieces of lumber and precise cuts to make sure everything was square.

The floors in my house are not level, so I went ahead and put notecards (I figure they work the same way as shims. I actually used a wood shim on one of the legs) under the legs to make the tank on top nice and level. I have filled the tank 1/3 full with water and everything looked nice and level, but there was a small gap between the plywood top and the plastic tank bottom--small, but you could see daylight between the tank and the stand (I have a standard 20 gal high glass tank). The corners all rested directly on the stand, but the middle of the long sides had a tiny gap. I went ahead and put styrofoam around the edges, but I'm wondering if this is a bad idea. So my issue isn't about the tank being level, but the top of the tank stand being perfectly flat/flush with the bottom of the tank.

2. FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

As long as the corners of the tank are touching the touching the stand, it should be okay. I have a 70 gallon and a 29 gallon, both which only have the corners of the tank touching the stand and do not have the front and back sides touching the stand. Both do not have any problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice