Fixing Cloudy Water 55 Gallon Tank

1. Beltoshazzar

Beltoshazzar Initiate Member

Hey everyone I apologize if this topic has been covered countless times but I cannot seem to find it here. I have a 55 gallon tank, that has been cycled, and I have platies, mollies, 2 Cory cats and a pleco. I am having a problem with cloudy water and nitrate levels. After 2 %25 water changes I still have a nitrate level about 30ppm and very cloudy water. My next step is setting up a canister filter along with my HOB filter with a nitrate reducing filter substrate to help. I have decreased feedings, vaccumed gravel 2x changed filter. I don’t know how to get this nitrate bloom under control. Any advice?? Ideas? Reprimands? Someone tell me what to do

2. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

what was your indicator its cycled?

3. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Welcome! Few questions

How old is the tank?
    Tap water source test?
    How many total fish?
    Changed filter? Please explain what you mean by this?

4. OP
    OP
    Beltoshazzar

I watched the ammonia levels spike then drop followed by nitrite spike and drop and I finally had a negative ammonia and nitrite level followed by a presence and increase of nitrate.

I have had the tank set up for about 3 months, 1 1/2 months with fish. (Fish less cycle). Tap water test is negative except for a little hardness of water. Total fish 16 plus 4 black mollie fry. And I just changed the disposable filter pads in my Aqueon 70. I did rinse prior to installation. Also on a side note the white haze is turning an ugly shade of green. I kinda expected it given the high nitrate levels.

5. musserump09

Disposable pads? Do you mean carbon pads? I hope you dont mean the sponge because that could be an issue.

Can you take a picture of the entire tank if possible?

6. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

i really hope you mean the carbon garbage and not the sponge. If you threw out the sponge i know what the problem is.

7. OP
    OP
    Beltoshazzar

Yes, the carbon pads, you gotta give me a little credit here.

8. musserump09

9. OP
    OP
    Beltoshazzar

4. 2 swords, a Java fern, and a random one I can’t remember the name of, they were looking pretty sickly for a while but have been much much better in the past couple weeks.

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

10. musserump09

Your plants have some nitrates to feed off of. They are how ever lacking nutrients as shown in pictures.

I would do a 50% water change. This will get the water cloudiness to go down plus the nitrates. Having a heaving bio load tank and not enough filtration will cause this to happen in my opinion and experience. As your tank ages over time it will go away.

11. OP
    OP
    Beltoshazzar

Alright. Thanks for the advice. I did take it. Also, one of my Cory cats is dying. He’s unable to keep himself down..any thoughts?

12. musserump09

Picture?