Fixing canister filter head

Greengirl87

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So I have 2 sun sun 404 heads, each with something damaged. I want to combine them into one working head unit. I'm having a hard time finding info about how to do this. I wonder if anyone here has ever fixed their own canister filter heads, regardless of the brand?

Here is the deal, one came to me in the mail with the top plastic cover cracked all the way through. I got a refund and replaced it with a 304 head, as I like the design of that one better and they are the same size/same flow rate. I never tried using it(cracked 404), as that seemed a really bad idea. But I did plug it in once to make sure it turned on, it did.

I had a completely different 404, and I had to replace the glass tube that the uv bulb is inside. Either I did this wrong(very likely) or I had a faulty one(also likely), because water slowly leaked inside the tube for the uv light and obviously it doesn't work anymore. But water also leaked from there into the main part of the head. It didn't really leak outside, just like the equivalent of condensation. The motor still works somehow.

I want to take the cover off the one that leaked, since it never had a functioning prime button(not the biggest deal) and now has a non working uv light socket(also not a big deal) and idk how to fix the leak(big deal). Because it could be me messing with where the glass tube goes, it could be that and the broken prime button, it could be something totally different that I don't know about.

The design of the leaking head is slightly different than that of the one that just had a broken casing. There are screws on the underside where the tube for the uv attaches on the leaking one, but not on the other. I took these screws out when I put the new glass tube in. And I think maybe I shouldn't have. Maybe I broke some sort of seal. Maybe I didn't put them back in right, it was difficult. Like, the little plate I removed just didn't wanna go back into place the same. The screws just didn't wanna go back in the same. Or maybe none of that matters and it was something else. Idk.

I've rambled here. Anyway, basically I need to take the plastic cover plate off one and put it on the other. Idk how to do this. Idk how easy they'll come off, if I need to glue it back on, what glue to use if I do, etc. I know it is possible to just replace the casing. Because UK websites sell a plastic cover replacement kit. But no US sellers do. At least that I could find. So why sell the replacement if it isn't something that can be done? Any help would be appreciated. If you know of a link to a vid or instructions, that would be even better!

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some suggestions today

OP
Greengirl87

Greengirl87

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Coradee said:
Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some suggestions today
Hey thanks! I found one vid on youtube just about doing repairs. From that I gathered that there is not only 2 different models of heads, but 2 different styles of the glass tubes as well. I think the one I had leaking came with the wrong glass tube, ergo I replaced it with the wrong one. This may be why it was leaking. At this point, I know the uv light isn't going to work ever again. But I don't really need it. I might order the other style of glass tube and see if it solves the leaking issue, so that I don't have to change the covers. Because I still haven't found any info on replacing the head cover.

New Threads