Fixing bad silicone Question 

Gingersnaps

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I took the plung and got the used tank I mentioned. It was running with fish still in it when I went to see it. It has an Aquaclear 200 filter and a 50w heater( too small no?) They had this really nice looking faux fire place stand type thing that they threw in as I liked the look so much.

My dilemma now is I want to clean up the horrible silicone job that was done to this tank. I don’t mind putting work into the tank to make it look and work great. This fit my current budget and will solve my sad betta and over stocking problem so I have to work with it.

I plan to get the Caribsea gravel in white or the same color of my current tank. Not a fan of the bigger gravel or coloured gravel. I will also make a trip to Home depot to add a shelf inside the stand and an extra piece on top that will fit the tank fully. So my questions are did I make a booboo buying this tank? How do I fix the bad silicone. Strip completely and rebead it? How much more difficult is pure silicone vs caulking silicone to work with? I know I need the pure one with no additives, just curious if it’s harder to work with.
3B260290-9F63-4DA5-8F19-538A9F434A63.jpeg
18A5D8C3-2E8F-4622-A88A-9E1D8C9A6B2D.jpeg

Fljoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It’s hard to tell in the pictures, but if it’s not leaking and just sloppy? What about just running a razor blade to clean it up? Of course fill to check for leaks after.

Gingersnaps

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fljoe said:
It’s hard to tell in the pictures, but if it’s not leaking and just sloppy? What about just running a razor blade to clean it up? Of course fill to check for leaks after.
I will try that first. Thank you. But in the event it leaks, I would like to know how to proceed.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it holds water I'd recommend just going with it. The only thing you can really do is strip out all the silicone, take it apart so you have four sides of glass, a bottom, and a top and bottom frame, and start over. YouTube has some good videos on resealing an aquarium.

I'm a little skeptical about the stand. It looks like the shell of a space heater with the insides taken out. I don't see a brace in back. It's not made to hold anything on top, much less an aquarium. That tank is going to be close to 200 pounds. It might have held a tank, but that doesn't mean it won't fail. Yesterday my next door neighbor had a shelf in their dining room collapse. They had expensive collector dishes on it, and it had been installed when the house was built 45 years ago.

I'd also recommend at least a 100W heater.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've never done a reseal but from my understanding its best to clean it all off very well and apply new aquarium safe silicone to all the corners. There are a lot of youtube videos on the procedure..seems pretty cut n dry.

Nobote

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Scrape and clean off all silicone with acetone...then 90% alcohol,
100% silicone isnt bad to work with...really soapy water is a resist to silicone, tape either side of your joint, and run your silicone bead with the tip of the caulk cut at about a 30 degree angle...fairly blunt.
If you tool it...dip whatever you are tooling it with super soapy water and the silicone will not stick to it.
Score the edge of the taoe before pulling it...and your silicone bead will have a nice crisp edge.

Gingersnaps

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
GuppyDazzle said:
If it holds water I'd recommend just going with it. The only thing you can really do is strip out all the silicone, take it apart so you have four sides of glass, a bottom, and a top and bottom frame, and start over. YouTube has some good videos on resealing an aquarium.

I'm a little skeptical about the stand. It looks like the shell of a space heater with the insides taken out. I don't see a brace in back. It's not made to hold anything on top, much less an aquarium. That tank is going to be close to 200 pounds. It might have held a tank, but that doesn't mean it won't fail. Yesterday my next door neighbor had a shelf in their dining room collapse. They had expensive collector dishes on it, and it had been installed when the house was built 45 years ago.

I'd also recommend at least a 100W heater.
I’m going to watch some YouTube videos and see how labour intensive it is. I’m no stranger to fixing things up!
For the stand. It is solid wood. So I had already planned to put a shelf in which will help. Adding braces on the back is doable and I agree should be done to be safe. Makes me question the actual aquarium stand I already have now that you bring it up. :( A new heater is in order, but those aren’t too bad on the pocket book. Thank you!

Thank you all!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom