Fixing a 55gal tank?

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Flyfrod, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Flyfrod

Flyfrod Valued Member Member

I just bought a used 55gal tank for $30. It needs cleaned but not in to bad of shape. The big thing is, the person who had it broke out the top center brace. Is there any way to fix it? Do I need to fix it? Thanks for any advice you can give.

2. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

it is hard to do I made a piece and screwed it in place when i had one break long ago

3. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

The center brace on my 55 broke last week. I ordered a replacement from my LFS last week and it just came in today. I'll probably pick it up Friday.

I'm going to drop my water level about 50%. The LFS said to use a ravor blade and scrape both the interior and exterior part of the frame to cut the silicone. Then get a 2x4 and place it flsh with the glass and use it to help push the top off the top of the tank. Then remove and leftover silicone. Finally, re-silicone the new frame with aquarium grade silicone and put it back on the tank.

The frame was like $15 they said.

4. Morgan111

much better advice than m ine

5. cm11599ps

lol, I'm not so sure......

I just picked up my frame and am trying to remove the 12 year old broken one. What a PITA!!

I know I can physically remove it if I really wanted to, but the problem is the glass. I don't want to pry too hard and risk breaking a seam, cracking the glass, etc.... I'm also afraid the tool I'm using to cut the old silicone hits an easy part and then my hand flys into the glass cracking it.

I've been at it for about an hour and so far the thing hasn't even budged a bit. I can see pieces of silicone falling out but the **** thing still won't budge.

6. Morgan111

it will work out in the end.

7. cm11599ps

OK, I've kept at it and it finally came off. Once you get anice score around the whole thing you can use piece of wood to tap the top up and off. Once you get it going it comes off pretty easy.

I've been taking pics along the way and will post them when I get a chance.

8. Morgan111

sweet good job

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice