Fixing A 55 Gallon

Greengirl87

Active Member
Member
Messages
381
Reaction score
101
Location
Kansas
Experience
5 years
So I'm not building my own set up, but I figured this would be the best place to ask about fixing a tank. I bought a used 55 gallon tank. The people had been using it as a reptile tank. Well I didn't realize until I got it home, they had ripped the plastic crossbar on the top out. I assume to accommodate 2 mesh tops for using as a terrarium. So without that cross bar, there is nothing for my 2 hoods to sit on in the middle. Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this?
 

yukondog

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,170
Reaction score
1,044
Location
N.W.FL.
Experience
5 years
You could take some flat aluminum [home depot/Lowes] and glue it on front and back, just get some wide enough for both the light to rest on.
 

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,660
Reaction score
9,354
Location
Rhode Island USA
Experience
Just started
I think something that would lock on the outer rI'm of the black rI'm would be a better option so you know it’s keeping the center of the tank from bowing out in the center
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
Greengirl87

Greengirl87

Active Member
Member
Messages
381
Reaction score
101
Location
Kansas
Experience
5 years
kallililly1973 said:
I think something that would lock on the outer rI'm of the black rI'm would be a better option so you know it’s keeping the center of the tank from bowing out in the center
Is this something I need to be concerned with? This is the biggest tank I've ever had. I didn't know that them bowing in the middle was a thing.
 

Euryak

Active Member
Member
Messages
84
Reaction score
31
Experience
Just started
I’ve seen people who have removed the rI'm and then added an acrylic or glass crossbeam and just siliconed it on top of it for added support after removing the rim, perhaps something like that would work?
 

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,660
Reaction score
9,354
Location
Rhode Island USA
Experience
Just started
Greengirl87 said:
Is this something I need to be concerned with? This is the biggest tank I've ever had. I didn't know that them bowing in the middle was a thing.
I would try to do a brace on it and fill it with water outside and see how it goes before setting it up and have 55 gallons of water in your house. They had to have put them on there for a reason and I believe it would definitely bow without some support which will lead to what I mentioned above I’m sure
 

Donthemon

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,100
Reaction score
753
Location
Sacramento, CA
Experience
4 years
Greengirl87 said:
Is this something I need to be concerned with? This is the biggest tank I've ever had. I didn't know that them bowing in the middle was a thing.
Yes it is a concern. The tank could bow then leak .
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Greengirl87

Greengirl87

Active Member
Member
Messages
381
Reaction score
101
Location
Kansas
Experience
5 years
kallililly1973 said:
I would try to do a brace on it and fill it with water outside and see how it goes before setting it up and have 55 gallons of water in your house. They had to have put them on there for a reason and I believe it would definitely bow without some support which will lead to what I mentioned above I’m sure
I just assumed the reason for the crossbar was for setting hoods on. Because like, who wants to lift a 4 ft long lid everyday. Two 2 foot sections of lid are much more manageable. Lol! But I don't see how the bars in there would really keep it from bowing. They are made of flimsy plastic. And obviously pretty easy to rip out. Because these ppl definitely ripped it out. It is jagged.
 

Euryak

Active Member
Member
Messages
84
Reaction score
31
Experience
Just started
14:03 is kind of what I was talking about
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
Greengirl87

Greengirl87

Active Member
Member
Messages
381
Reaction score
101
Location
Kansas
Experience
5 years
Euryak said:
14:03 is kind of what I was talking about
Theoretically, couldn't I still do this with the rim? Like just glue or silicone some glass onto the lip of the rI'm where the crossbar used to be.
 

yukondog

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,170
Reaction score
1,044
Location
N.W.FL.
Experience
5 years
On my 30 gl. it bowed a little and I took flat bar bent a 90 dig. on each end with a tight fit to the tank, you could do the same thing. I think getting glass cut and siliconed would look a lot better, most of my tanks are breeders so I'm not concerned with cosmetics.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Greengirl87

Greengirl87

Active Member
Member
Messages
381
Reaction score
101
Location
Kansas
Experience
5 years
yukondog said:
On my 30 gl. it bowed a little and I took flat bar bent a 90 dig. on each end with a tight fit to the tank, you could do the same thing. I think getting glass cut and siliconed would look a lot better, most of my tanks are breeders so I'm not concerned with cosmetics.
Ya my mom cuts glass. So that would be really easy for me to get. At this point I just wonder if I can do it with the rI'm still on. Because I really don't want to remove the rim.
 

Euryak

Active Member
Member
Messages
84
Reaction score
31
Experience
Just started
Greengirl87 said:
Ya my mom cuts glass. So that would be really easy for me to get. At this point I just wonder if I can do it with the rI'm still on. Because I really don't want to remove the rim.
I’m sure you could do it with the rI'm on it still, I was more or less just trying to give a picture of what I was trying to say, the flat bar suggestion seemed good to except idk if it would rust over time unless you coated it with something
 

yukondog

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,170
Reaction score
1,044
Location
N.W.FL.
Experience
5 years
Aluminum, I think you could still do it with the glass and rim, if it looks like it may not be enough you could always add the aluminum brace.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
247
Guests online
3,114
Total visitors
3,361

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom