Five Gallon Tank in a dorm room

kaltol1994

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I've grown up taking care of 10, 20, and a 55 gallon tank but now that i'm in a dorm room with a five gallon tank, I currently have a female swordtail and some fake plants, I set the tank up a couple weeks ago and would like to fill it to the brI'm with live plants and would also like fish you wouldn't find at walmart, and here's the kicker, the nearest pet store is an hour away from campus so also I'll need fish that could stand an hour long car ride. Like I mentioned before I've got experience, but would like ideas and advice considering with the other tanks it was a ten minute drive, not an hour.
Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm partial to Pearl and Red Dwarf Gouramis but I'd like something new.

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Celestial Pearl Danios would also be a poor choice for a 5 gallon. About the only fish that would do well in such a small tank is Betta. The swordtail needs a 20 gallon or so. Many of the smaller fish need schools of 5-6 which makes them also not good for such a small tank.

Any of the fish you want to keep, try googling the species name with the word "care" after it and see the info that comes up (i.e. "Pearl GouramI care"). Almost every page of info you find will agree that a 5 gallon is too small for most any fish. You could maybe try some small killifish or just stick to the betta.

Now shrimp would do just fine. I would start with some easy red cherry shrimp if you are new to shrimp. They are hardy and do well in smaller tanks. They also will love the plants.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is it a standard rectangular 5 gallon? What is your pH? If pH is below 7 and you're not into bettas, I would suggest a trio of sparkling gouramis. You'd probably have to order them online.

Unfortunately that tank is not suited to a swordtail at all. You'll need to rehome her and get something else.

Zapfish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I always think that guppies are a good idea. They do well even if groups less than 6. I have three in a 2.5 (getting moved soon) and they are the happiest little fish I have ever seen.

thefishdude277

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Zapfish said:
I always think that guppies are a good idea. They do well even if groups less than 6. I have three in a 2.5 (getting moved soon) and they are the happiest little fish I have ever seen.
Guppies need 10 gallons. They are way too active

Zapfish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ya Ik that it's not optimal which Is why they are being moved to a 29g

New Threads