Fishy water smell ? Can you guys look at these API results i cant tell..

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Candymancan, Mar 18, 2010.

1. C

Candymancan Valued Member Member

My tank i noticed has a fishy smell the last couple days.. Im starting to get brown algae on my plants and driftwood. I tested my water and i can never tell what my ammonia is at either .25 or 0. My PH is around 6.2ish, and my nitrates look between 10 and 20..

My nitrites are going up tho, my test kit is 3 years old but does seem to work as a few days ago i was at 0 and now its a like purple/pink color.. Its really hard to tell what its really at.. Here is a picture can you guys tell maybe ? and help me remove thi fishy smell.. I cleaned the rocks not only a week ago and i did a water change at that time too.. The filter isnt old maybe 2 weeks.

363.jpg

2. s

sknr03 New Member Member

You should get a new test kit first. Next I can't see how long you've been running your tank but it sounds like your fist Cycle. Hope your feeding and empty tank.

3. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

the brown algae is probably diatoms. My tank is overtaken by it right now. Blech.

4. OP
    OP
    C

Tank has already cycled along time ago and iv had 22 fish for weeks now, could it be because i took out 2 peices of driftwood last night for an hour or 2 trying to catch my platy's fry ? The driftwood got fairly dry laying out of the tank like that.. The peices are big too, maybe it killed alot of good bacteria or something ? Could that have been the reason why ?

Yea the brown algae my moms tank is covered in it all over the plants, and ornaments and stuff.. How do you stop that from growing ? I heared using magnets works ? I have 3 magnets like a inch long each lol if i put them in the tank would that fix the problem ?

5. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think it is normal for newer tanks. Mine is 7 months old and is covered in the stuff. My understanding is that it can go away on its own after a while, but takes a long time. Otherwise, some fish will eat it (BN plecos, otos, etc.). Having ammonia levels under control helps too, I think.

They sell magnets for the tank - you put half inside, and the other half outside of the glass. Then you can move around the one on the outside and it removes the algae on the glass. I have not actually used one, since I have an acrylic tank, but I have heard they go a good job. They won't do anything for the gravel or decorations, though. As far as I know, regular magnets dropped into the tank won't do it.

Hope this helps. :)

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello CandyManCan,

If your tank is beginning to smell I recommend adding carbon. If you are currently using carbon and it's been in the filter for 3 weeks then it's time to change it out. If you have carbon in the filter and it's less than 3 weeks old then I suggest adding more.

If you would be so kind as to complete your Aquarium Profile Information it will be a big help to others. Click on My Settings in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box click on Edit Aquarium Information.
    Thanks!

Ken

7. OP
    OP
    C

Well nitrites are zero again, ammona is zero, ph is around 6.4 ish, nitrates are down to 10.

Water looks dark tho, and a tiny cloudy.. Not sure i have no dead fish they are all accounted for. The filter is like mmm 2 weeks old maybe.. I'll get some new ones and use the carbon rocks in my current filter then

8. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:happy0034:

9. OP
    OP
    C

Ok did it

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks CandyManCan! Hope you're having a good weekend!
    Ken

11. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Are you sure it's a fishy smell and not earthy?
    The drift wood may still be leaching tannis into the water. Water changes would help it thats the cause.

12. OP
    OP
    C

Na its fishy.. the driftwood is years and years old.. i doubt any tannis is in it.

13. Red_Pharaoh

Red_Pharaoh New Member Member

and dead plants? cause thats wht made my tank smell ungodly

14. OP
    OP
    C

All fake plants.. It seems the smell has gone away.. I didnt change the filter or add more carbon.. So im not sure why it went away oh well who is complaining.. The water still seems darker tho not cloudy but "dark" like someone put a shade over my light. There is no algae under the hood tho, maybe its darker because of the brown algae growing on my plants. Its making the water look more like dark water or something lol.

Anyway its been 4 days since i tested the water and the Ammonia, Nitrite are both solid 0 still, and PH is 6.4 it seems the small amounts of crushed coral i put in the tank worked. It took awhile but it worked. My PH was like 6.0 or lower maybe i dunno for the longest time and now its been 6.4 for a week almost.

Nitrates are wierd tho, the nitrates seemed to have dropped lol. They were around 20, and now they are 10 and it seems to be getting lighter in color day by day getting closer to 5. Is this normal for Nitrates to drop ? I have no plants. Could it be the algae ?

15. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

If I was getting results like that I would first question whether I was completely shaking up the Nitrate #2 bottle. People here have had problems with this bottle crystallizing and requiring pounding the bottle against a counter with extreme vigor to get it mixed up. If that doesn't make a difference you have a curious situation.

16. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

As stated above there are crystals in the nitrate bottle number two and it must be shaken very hard and it doesn't hurt to hit it against your hand or leg or something. Also there should be a 4 digit lot number on your bottles somewhere. These will be the month and year the bottle was filled and they test are said to expire one year later. Some places don't sell a lot of these kits and they are expired before you bought it, so if yo have had it for over three years I would say it's time for a new one.

17. OP
    OP
    C

Ya i read the intructions... i shake the bottle like crazy for more then am inute sometimes... Some people say 1 year some peopel say 3 years.. TBH none of you know when it expires lol.

18. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I found this in the water testing forum and it is a direct quote from API concerning the expiration dates. It looks like at least 3 years some test are longer.

"Your solutions are not expired. Each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed
    on the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of
    manufacture. Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured
    in January of 2002. Pond Care Wide Range pH, ammonia, High Range pH,
    Nitrate, phosphate, Copper, calcium and GH all last for three years.
    nitrite and KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH(low range) and
    Pond Care Salt Level will last for five years. I would not trust these
    kits after they have expired."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice