Fishy Funeral....Now what??

1. msmariesa Initiate Member

Hi everybody! Okay, I know NOTHING about fish but I am learning quick! My husband has my son all hyped up about our new fishtank. It is about 55 gallons and we have 2 filters and a heater. It is freshwater, so since I don know that much I thought it best to just try a few fish (I know its horrible to get fish to test them) so I got 2 tropical fish sorry idk what kind and a algea eater...I kept the tank at 78 deg F and first the algea eater passed away...I thought the tank was too clean andd he didn't eat enough..(this was after 4 days of owning him) then 2 days later I. Noticed my gogolldfish looking one had spots and was not acting normal. I knew nothing about ick and thought my other fish was a bully. He died...next day my baby favorite showed the same symptoms and I. Bought ick stuff...butt it was too late...I have a 5 panell strip test and everything was perfect throughout their time at my home.maybe it was where I bought them from (meijer) but I want more. I bought 'LifeGaurd all in one treatment' which seems like an all aroundcure. I have used anti-ick for 3 days...and I had used a startup kit and a PH balance kit...what do I need to do to ensure my tank will be safe for future fish...I am nt a fish killler but I don't know much but I am learning quickly any help wud be greatly appreciated!

Mariesa

2. apple429 Well Known Member Member

okay... first off... WELCOME TO FISHLORE!!!

now, I would read the aquarium nitrogen cycle link on you about me page, so basically you need bacteria in your tank to eat fish waste(ammonia, very toxic to fish), then the bacteria turns into nitrite (less toxic to fish), and then nitrate (hardly toxic to fish). That is probably why you algae eater died. Then I would get a few books, or do some online research about freshwater aquariums!

My experience with starting a 20g aquarium:

1.) Do not do a "fished cycle" (it stresses fish out WAY too much)

2.) Have good filtration and water circulation

3.) Do research on your fish before you buy (impulse buying is very easy to do, but next thing you know you have a fish that get three feet long (exaggeration)

4.) Stay on top of your water changes!

I do have some question's:

did you acclimate your fish, and for how long?

How frequently are you doing water changes?

I hope this helps you and again I would really recommend going to the link here--> https://www.fishlore.com/Beginners.htm and read up on fish and their needs!

Congratulations on your fish tank and entering the aquarium hobby!

“Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity.”

~Louis Pasteur

“Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go.”

~William Feather

3. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum and this wonderful hobby.

It's not your fault, but you're making some huge mistakes. It happens when we receive bad information when starting out.

Follow the advice/links given above and you'll have a much better feel for what you need to do. :D

4. apple429 Well Known Member Member

5. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FishLore! :) Don't feel too bad, many of us started out the same (myself included). Hopefully you'll learn a lot from the knowledgeable and experienced members.

If I could make a suggestion: the strip tests are known to be very inaccurate. I would advise you to purchase a liquid kit, most members (including myself) prefer the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. You can get it for $30 at PetSmart or PetCo, or get it online from a website like Amazon. If you look up the Ken's Fish website (not sure of the URL, possibly just www.kensfish.com, but I can look into it) he should have it for considerably less.

It lasts for a long time and will offer you much more accurate results. I've read of some members testing with strips, which told them their water was fine, and switching to a liquid test kit, and finding out it wasn't fine at all! Since you were not aware of the nitrogen cycle before you started up your fish tank, I find it unlikely that your water is of good quality. In a cycled tank with a good colony of nitrifying bacteria, ammonia and nitrites should be zero, while nitrates should be below 40.

If I understand correctly, your tank is currently empty of fish, right? So now's the time to get it set up the right way! You could try looking into Tetra SafeStart. It is a bottle of the very beneficial bacteria you need. So you would empty your tank (since there is surely ammonia/nitrite in the water currently), fill it with fresh water, treat the water with Tetra's dechlorinator (I've heard that other brands may cause TSS to fail), add the entire bottle of TSS, add a few small fish, and you're all set! In about two weeks, your tank will be cycled. I've never used TSS though, so if you have more specific questions, I'm sure many other members can answer them.

Best of luck with your new tank! :)