Fishtank in an office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm considering setting up a little tank in my office, maybe 3 gallons or so, but I'm not sure if I should. I'm trying to figure out the logistics.

I know that a fish can go a couple of days without eating, so weekends should be okay. However, how would I do the water changes/cleanings? Does anyone have one? Would it have to be jugs of water? Are there other complications I am not thinking of?

If I do it, is an internal filter my best option? I am thinking this because that way, if there is a power outage here, at least the filter media stays wet...

Thanks in advance, FL peeps.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If your office is open after hours, you could always go in early or stay late to do water changes.

We have what I think is a 40 gallon tank in our office and the guy that takes care of it, and I use that term loosely, comes in about an hour early when he does a water change.

I think its cool having a tank at work, customers really seem to like it.

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've done this before and it was sucessful the fish were just happy to see me monday morning, when I did it I mused pretty hearty fish and I just set it up like any other aquarium.... (I moved a existing tank that was like 6 gallon so I didnt need to cycle it). the only this I found is you have to weatch co workers that try to feed the fish all of the time.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, thats the problem we have here. About three different people feed the fish everyday. Luckily they are just goldfish and don't seem to mind all the food or mess.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tanks are fun in offices (especally on slow days! i keep telling my mom she needs one at work cuz she's in her office alone all day). when i had the 1 1/2 gallon up, i just used Publix bottled spring water, because it was only 68 cents a gallon (and i didnt kno it had to be changed every week, so 68 cents a month sounded really good lol). also, i didnt have to worry about putting enough water conditioner in it because u dont need any with spring water! u will, as the others were saying, have to only have one person in charge of feeding (and maybe a back-up in case that one person doesnt come to work or something) and what-not. a betta would be ok for the weekend and they dont make much mess, or 2-3 African Dwarf frogs, as long as they had a good sized meal on fridays.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i think a 3g would b very easy. i have a 2.5 and a 5 hex. the 2.5 is a minibow....it is pretty good i think.

what i do is keep a 10 quart bucket in my kitchen.....and for just water changes, not vac, i get a plastic cup and scoop out the water. dump it, refill, condition, and back it goes. i have a mini gravel vac that is easy for sucking up debris. and a turkey baster.

there was a betta in it, but im making it a shrimp/frog/snail tank.......

OP
Meenu

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks, guys. I'd be looking at a 3 gallon, most likely for a betta. How would I do gravel vacs?

I do not have "customers", so it would be for myself mostly, although I do get young children that have to come in and talk to me sometimes. They would probably like the fish, and it would be a way to break the ice with them so that they would be more willing to talk to me about things they don't want to discuss. I really like the idea of getting it. (Plus, my limit is one tank at home, but my husband has no say-so about my office )

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do not have "customers", so it would be for myself mostly, although I do get young children that have to come in and talk to me sometimes. They would probably like the fish, and it would be a way to break the ice with them so that they would be more willing to talk to me about things they don't want to discuss. I really like the idea of getting it. (Plus, my limit is one tank at home, but my husband has no say-so about my office )
That's sweet A tank with a betta and loads of color would do the trick.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks, guys. I'd be looking at a 3 gallon, most likely for a betta. How would I do gravel vacs?

You can buy a really small gravel vac and just use a bucket for your water changes. Keep a small bottle of Prime in your office and use an eye dropper to measure out 2 drops per gallon.

If you aren't set on the betta, a shrimp tank would be cool too. You could put some easy low light plants in there with some cherry shrimp, yellow shrimp, etc and maybe a mystery snail.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have a mini vac.....just use it the same way as a larger one.....just hold it above the gravel and the debris will come right up. i do it until about 25-30% of the water is out.

hold your finger over the tube end of the vac, over a bucket. the fill the vac end up with water and hold it up. let the finger of the tube end, off. the water will begin to flow out of the vacuum part. then stick in the tank before the water runs out of the vac. then it should start sucking. capekate has a sticky about it with a vid. helped me a ton!

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I personally think a fish tank in the office would be a great idea. My mom use to share and office with a lady who had a tank but no fish (she liked the sound from the water) so I went out and bought some fish. They both loved them!

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

LMBO MTS is sneaky too

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was thinking of a betta for ease of maintenance. You think that shrimp would be easy, Harpua? I've never had any before.
I think either would be easy. You can try them together even, but the betta may eat the shrimp. Either a betta or shrimp would be fine with not eating over a weekend as long as you feed every day when you're there.

Have you considered what you will do when the office is closed for holiday weekends?

jgon_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I love having fish tanks in my office. I have a 45, 35 and a 5G. But then again, I'm in here 7 days a week and have access to water for water changes.

OP
Meenu

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Have you considered what you will do when the office is closed for holiday weekends?
Between weekends and holidays, the longest the county ever shuts down for is 4 days in a row. I figured they would just have to go without eating. I live 30 miles away - no way am I coming in to feed them. And if I'm out for some reason, someone else could feed?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
do you have security in the building? if so, maybe you could persuade one of them to feed the fish/shrimp whatever over a holiday? or if someoneyou know lives close by could do it maybe.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Between weekends and holidays, the longest the county ever shuts down for is 4 days in a row. I figured they would just have to go without eating. I live 30 miles away - no way am I coming in to feed them. And if I'm out for some reason, someone else could feed?
Four days should be fine. I would put away the food somewhere where random people aren't going to pick it up and start feeding him though. I've thought about doing a similar thing in my daydreaming about having a cubicle/office. Could even let the kid feed a couple pellets. Although a lot of the kids I see are rather rambunctious and I'd worry a bit about the integrity/stability of the tank. Would definitely get an acrylic tank and probably put in a rubberized no-slip pad below it.

Also, I'd favor a betta tank over shrimp tank. Maybe a snail too. More accessible and immediately interesting to visitors (particularly those kids).

OP
Meenu

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Our building is locked down, but the sheriffs leave at 6 and don't patrol it on the weekends.
I'm with midthought, I think 4 days in a row a couple of times a year shouldn't be too bad.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think that will be too bad either. Most fish can go without food for easily a week if you're on vacation. It's not like it will happen often.

I'm going to throw out one more suggestion...
Pick up an Eclipse 6 or that bookshelf tank and make it a nano fish tank. Rasboras in the genus Boraras would be really cool, or ember tetras, or CPDs, etc. Add some cool crypts and a few other low light plants and the fish will look really flashy against the greenery.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom