Fishtank emergency! Ghost shrimp with red sore and Amano dead!

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Okay so this morning everything was fine (except I had a few ghost shrimp deaths over the week, nothing concerning since I have about 20 and 2 died)
    But I just checked my tank and saw one of my Amano shrimp died!!! AND this dead ghost shrimp with a red sore on its back. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436056335.163961.jpg thats the dead Amano on the left. Never seen anything like it. Currently checking water parameters.
    Also, my temp is fine(75-77) but I almost burned my hand when I touched the heater. That doesn't seem good..... Thoughts on that?

EDIT: I also had a cherry shrimp die this last week. Again, shrimp and fish die so I didn't think anything of it until now
    EDIT 2: normally I leave the dead shrimp in there for my other shrimp and snails to eat (the inca snail loves them) so I want to make sure there isn't something in my tank killing the shrimp that could spread to my snails if they are consuming the shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Ammonia is fine. Between 0 and .25, I count this as 0. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436056413.748511.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436056685.924341.jpg
    Nitrates are around 10 like usual. I don't have a nitrite test anymore so I can't do that one. My tank has been cycled and is established, I have no clue what the problem is :(

Mod feel free to merge the posts.

2. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I'm bumping this because I'm really concerned and I have a blueberry shrimp that was $10 in that tank and I don't know if I need to move all my shrimp to a quarantine or what.

3. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Does this need to be moved to the freshwater disease topic? I just don't know if this is something that will affect my fish as well and I don't want it to. I feel like I'm spamming but this is the first time I've ever had anything like this happen in a fishtank in my 8 years of fish keeping (I've literally only had fin rot, once. Other than that, nothing)

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Is it possible you introduced any toxins, like more copper in your water supply lately? Any new plant fertilizers used or anything?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

No I haven't, I did recently add two gouramis and I floated the bag for a bit before acclimating them fully and the stupid store wrote with sharpie on the bag. That's about all I can think off. They started dying a few days before that though. I also recently added a breeder net for my platy.

6. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Is there a way something could be getting into the tank? Like bug spray or some other undesirable chemical?

Have observed your fish following the shrimp? Have you used any new conditioners or medicated the tank recently?

7. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

The ghost looks more inured than anything, like something chomped him or he got burned by the heater. Are there any noticeable marks on any of the others who've passed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

This is the first shrimp that looks like this. I see no more that are alive with these red marks and have not seen any dead like that.
    No new conditioners or medicine. Tank water from the gourami tank may have gotten in but I doubt that's the problem.

9. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How old were the Amano and ghosts? And that wound on the ghost shrimp does look like it had been cooked. Is it possible it's just a coincidence that they died so close to each other?

10. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

The location is a coincidence probably, but since I've had more shrimp deaths this week I'm concerned. The Amano and ghost I'm notnsurenthe age but both were added to my tank at the same time (unless it was one of my original 5 ghost shrimp from when I started my tank a month ago) I think I got them two weeks or like ten days ago.

The weird thing is, the last ghost shrimp that died was in that same spot (that was three days ago). If my heater is burning them, what do I do? It's a new heater and it's working well but it's so hot to the touch. I don't think I've ever had a heater like that (except for one I had that was beginning to stop functioning correctly and almost cooked my fish by bringing the tank temp up to 85)

11. Aquaphobia

Do you have a spare heater you can switch it out with? See if that stops the deaths? I don't know if they're available in store or if you have to order them, but you can get heater covers to prevent your critters touching the hot surface.

12. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

A heater cover might be good. This is the only shrimp with a visible burn though. Could that really be what's killing them all?
    I only really found one other similar case to this on the internet and it was decided that it was a bacterial infection or something, but I don't want to treat my tank if I don't need to.

13. Aquaphobia

Yeah, I'm just looking for the simplest possible reason to start with. If the heater is too hot for you to touch maybe that's the cause and it's easy to "treat". If that doesn't stop them dying though then you may have to look for another cause.

14. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Have you ever had a heater get that hot though? At least not one that's failing.... I'll look into the cover and also ask my coworker if he has any experience with this. But you think I don't need to move anyone? I have a quarantine (just have to take a betta out and use my temp divided 1gal for him)

15. Aquaphobia

Well, a quarantine wouldn't hurt of course and at the very least it would get them away from that heater until you can figure out what's really going on. And if it does prove to be a disease you can then treat it more easily without having to worry about it being passed on.

16. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

The quarantine does not have a heater or filter, but if I just move my shrimp over it will be okay. It's gonna be a long acclimation though for the temp.
    Should I move my cherries and Amano, too?

EDIT: I'm on mobile so I can't update my stocking list but I want to let you guys know the current shrimp counts.
    19 ghost
    5 cherry
    1 blueberry (he's black and tiny and I've never seen him since he was added so who knows)
    1 Amano

17. Aquaphobia

I've only ever had ghost shrimp and I know how easily they can die for no apparent reason. Hopefully someone with more shrimp experience will be along to advise you!

18. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I've kept a lot of ghost shrimp and I also know they can die easy. But that Amano was a surprise, the two I had were doing great in there.

@EricV do you have any thoughts?

19. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry for your losses. :(
    I would guess since ghost shrimp are often sick in the store from bad handling, the amano got sick from them as well.....

20. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I have moved two of the cherry shrimp, the other amano, and 9 ghost shrimp. I'm actually thinking of turning this little quarantine into a shrimp only tank....