Fishroom Rack

Cody

Hello! I have been surfing in here a but haven’t seen exactly what I wanted.

I’m starting to play around with some breeding as something to work on this fall/winter. I’m mechanical enough to build something and understand what to do but I’m curious to see others setups and preference between the following

2x4- I like this to get exactly what you want and it seems the most sturdy

Concrete Block/lumber- then seems the fastest and cheapest way to do it. And this can be done in stages so I could start with me bottom row and build up if needed

Muscle/steel rack- it seems light this is slightly more than a 2x4 DIY but I’m my experience some of these racks are super sturdy.

I have a 1960s home with a shorter basement ceiling clearance. So Im thinking my top shelf will be around 40in to give room for tank height plus clearance for maintenance.

my end goal would be to have something that would potentially have 8-10 tanks short ends out to maximize tank quantity with a smaller foot print. Ideally this will be no more than 6ft wide 2-3ft deep. Also I’m thinking 10-20g tanks.

Either way I can figure out construction but I wouldn’t mind seeing picture and input on what you do and didn’t like about different construction methods.

AcornTheBetta

Cody said:
Hello! I have been surfing in here a but haven’t seen exactly what I wanted.

I’m starting to play around with some breeding as something to work on this fall/winter. I’m mechanical enough to build something and understand what to do but I’m curious to see others setups and preference between the following

2x4- I like this to get exactly what you want and it seems the most sturdy

Concrete Block/lumber- then seems the fastest and cheapest way to do it. And this can be done in stages so I could start with me bottom row and build up if needed

Muscle/steel rack- it seems light this is slightly more than a 2x4 DIY but I’m my experience some of these racks are super sturdy.

I have a 1960s home with a shorter basement ceiling clearance. So Im thinking my top shelf will be around 40in to give room for tank height plus clearance for maintenance.

my end goal would be to have something that would potentially have 8-10 tanks short ends out to maximize tank quantity with a smaller foot print. Ideally this will be no more than 6ft wide 2-3ft deep. Also I’m thinking 10-20g tanks.

Either way I can figure out construction but I wouldn’t mind seeing picture and input on what you do and didn’t like about different construction methods.
You could do plywood sandwiched in between cinder blocks. It allows you to build-up and adjust where and how tall the shelves should be.

Cody

AcornTheBetta said:
You could do plywood sandwiched in between cinder blocks. It allows you to build-up and adjust where and how tall the shelves should be.
That’s why I’m leaning toward that direction because it scales nice vs a 2x4 stand you have to kind try to to max out from day one.

Sanderguy777

Cody said:
That’s why I’m leaning toward that direction because it scales nice vs a 2x4 stand you have to kind try to to max out from day one.
Not necessarily, you could make a system like adjustable shelves have. Like the ones that you plug little pegs into at whatever height you want. Obviously, you'd need more substantial pegs than what you buy in the hardware store (maybe grade 5 or 8 bolts).
You could build a frame that is the max height you WANT, and then make modular shelves that fit onto the bolts that can be moved between a few different bolt holes.

I built this tank stand so a 10 or 20g tank would fit under my 60g. The stand is only like 30" high so I can actually get into the tank without a ladder, which is one of the reasons DIY stands are better than store bought.

I didn't do the cinder block (technically called conctrete masonry units...) because they are ugly and I didn't think that they looked very sturdy.

20200927_203126.jpg

aquachris

I contemplated between making my own and the muscle racks and went my own with 2x4. You can see my setup link in my signature.

The muscle racks are nice with the versatility to adjust. But be aware, they are 4' on the nose for the 4' ones. That means that a 4' tank will not work as it is slightly larger with rim/etc. This was my deciding factor. If your going for 3', many people have luck with 3' tanks fitting perfectly (and I mean just perfectly) in it. I would highly recommend just getting the ones with the metal grate (instead of the OSB board) and get plywood to replace it.

Also your capacity to build, and what you want the finish to look like, is the major difference in deciding what to do. What I like about my rack is its finished and nice looking. What I don't like about it is it is very fixed and I wont have a lot of options to "change". To help offset that, I went with something that would always fit 4' tanks. However now that I've done it, I'm questioning my decision on my 10's on the bottom, and if I shouldn't have gone bigger and maybe a little higher off the ground. Most of my dislikes are the final finish and some things I messed up on, but that was just my learning lesson (filling the holes for the screws, and a few other odds and ends).

Cody

aquachris said:
I contemplated between making my own and the muscle racks and went my own with 2x4. You can see my setup link in my signature.

The muscle racks are nice with the versatility to adjust. But be aware, they are 4' on the nose for the 4' ones. That means that a 4' tank will not work as it is slightly larger with rim/etc. This was my deciding factor. If your going for 3', many people have luck with 3' tanks fitting perfectly (and I mean just perfectly) in it. I would highly recommend just getting the ones with the metal grate (instead of the OSB board) and get plywood to replace it.

Also your capacity to build, and what you want the finish to look like, is the major difference in deciding what to do. What I like about my rack is its finished and nice looking. What I don't like about it is it is very fixed and I wont have a lot of options to "change". To help offset that, I went with something that would always fit 4' tanks. However now that I've done it, I'm questioning my decision on my 10's on the bottom, and if I shouldn't have gone bigger and maybe a little higher off the ground. Most of my dislikes are the final finish and some things I messed up on, but that was just my learning lesson (filling the holes for the screws, and a few other odds and ends).
Yeah the more I look at a steel rack option the more I know I want to build my own. I think they have their place for a few racks or if you get the really large racks that are long with stew grates, those are an option.

I think I have a design down with cinderblocks and 2x4s that will house 20g Long on the bottom row and 10G on the top.

aquachris

Cody said:
Yeah the more I look at a steel rack option the more I know I want to build my own. I think they have their place for a few racks or if you get the really large racks that are long with stew grates, those are an option.

I think I have a design down with cinderblocks and 2x4s that will house 20g Long on the bottom row and 10G on the top.
I really debated that option as well. If I did a fish room I'd probably go that route. But mine is also my office, and needed wife approval, so this is what I went with (Though I could have painted the blocks and wood). The other issue I had was just the "Extra" space I'd need for the cinder blocks was too much for the wall I want it on.

Flyfisha

I am suggesting ether cinder blocks or steel racks because both are adjustable. You can’t possibly get the height right first time . I suggest the best thinking and planning will still be off by a few inches up or down .

Suggesting.
Bottom row has to be just high enough to vacuum.
Top row is just low enough for your armpits to reach in.

Even these 1000 kilogram racks have required legs in the middle of the 8 foot span.

Top Bottom