Fishlore online magazine put on by members not moderators (everybody read)

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was just wondering if the regular attending members of here could put together a magazine type of thing run solely by us and with no help by the moderators. It's an idea that would have to be ok'd by the moderators since we would need your help to mass email it to all the members since I think you can do that or put it on the fishlore site. I'm just wondering if this is ok with you moderators and Mike. Also how many members would be willing to write and help make this, just let me know. If it's ok'd then people who would like to help we could start discussing what we would want to put in it but don't do it here, we'l do it later so it's a surprise to the moderators.

Austin

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What would be the purpose of this magazine? If it's to discuss various fish-keeping issues, don't we have the forum for that already? If we created such a magazine, without anybody moderating it, we'd have a lot of "trolls" a.k.a. people who post offensive remarks in order to ruin the atmosphere and to offend people - we need to have this kept under control. The magazine would have to be monitored for any possibly false and misleading information because if anyone gave such information, it would mislead many inexperienced beginners who would only get further discouraged from the hobby. Moreover, Mike would have to answer for that. We cannot place that burden on him. So, if we created the magazine, we'd need some one to moderate it (or some people for this purpose). As for the mass e-mails, what exactly do you mean? And how massive do you think they'd be? But perhaps I have not understood your suggestion completely as to the purpose. If that be the case, I apologize.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It could be kind of an update on the forum type of thing. Mass email as in we send the newsletter after we it's finished to Mike via email or PM and he reviews it and I think he can send it via email to all the members who are accepting emails. It would just be like an update type of thing where we could put like updates of who won the photo contest, let old members know fishlore still exists, maybe interview a single person, it wouldn't be a thing you could comment on realy I guess I put it the wrong way it would be a thing you could read and you could have some sort of feature in it maybe. If you guys let us do it we would decide what would be in it but you guys wouldn't have to worry about bad stuff being put in it since it would be composed of us members who are wanting to do it and Mike would read over it to make sure there's nothing in it if he's ok with doing this unless it's too much work. I'm not real sure if you understand, if you don't try to let me know so I can help you understand i guess.

Austin

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not that I am against it necessarily, but I hope you realize that Mike and most of the moderators have full time jobs and even though you say they/we would not be doing the writing, there would still have to be some form of overseeing for the very reason that Isabella said. I agree that there is a forum here already for the purposes you list and that announcements can be made as necessary. Also old members of Fishlore.com who are no longer with us, I am sure know that we are here, it is their choice not to be with us for whatever reason and they may not wish to receive anything from the members here.

You can check with Mike and see what he says, but I really do not think you understand the amount of work it takes already to keep the forum going and to add this to his list of "things to do" may not be something he needs right now. It is something which will take more time than I think you realize and commitment to spend time on a regular basis. As I said earlier, it is hard to keep everything going and hold down a full time job and have a life besides so this may not be the best idea at this time.

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I agree with Rose. As of right now, we have 1,111 (what a number, lol) members on Fish Lore, yet only a small percent of that number are constant posters here (those who post topics and who otherwise actively participate in the forum). I think it would be a waste of time to be sending e-mails to all 1,111 members, most of whom probably got an account just to post something once, or not even, and never came back afterwards. If you look at Fish Lore forum statistics, you'll see how many member have never posted anything or posted very little and sporadically. If they were actively interested in the forum, they'd come here. We cannot run after every person. Besides, 4 moderators (as of now) could not handle the task of sending e-mails to 1,111 members because as Rose has said, we must work and have lives outside of the forum as well.

Mike is probably having a lot of work with setting up the contest alone (as can be seen in the problem in Fish Lore gallery - i.e. switched names), and such an addition as this would complicate things further (at least in my opinion - so you may want to speak to Mike yourself to see what he thinks). If you go to forum stats > general stats > total members, and click on the number (1,111), then sort members by amounts of posts each one has, you'll find half or more of them never posted anything.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Atm - alot of aquarium clubs issue a quarterly news letters to update articles, pass along news etc. They do this because some of them only see each other every three months. But we "talk" to each other everyday so there wouldn't be alot to put in an e-mail. Now if there are articles you feel need to be updated or written then lets do so but lets do it here.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ATM, I hope you're not angry at us? I'm sure you understand the ramifications of such a magazine. I really do believe that those who are interested enough in the forum as well as in the hobby of fish keeping in general, will and do come here on a regular basis. Should they need any specific information, we'll be glad to help them - which is precisely why the forum exists. In a magazine, without any moderation, we could risk too much. But in the forum, on the other hand, you can find or ask anything you'd like with the advantage of not having anyone providing you with some severely misleading information. We do post important issues as well, when they become of importance, such as for example the latest topic by Chickadee about painted fish. Important topics stay on top so that interested people can see them. However, if you feel a particular issue or topic needs to be spread to other people and around other forums, I suggest you can e-mail such disturbing topics as painted fish to any people you know as well as post them on any other forum(s) you wish.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nope not offended. I understand the nobody wants it or feels it's necessary so I'm fine with that, just a suggestion and that's all it is. I see your point, i guess we really don't have enough members to make in worthwhile or necessary like you said. Isabell do you think we could make a thread in one board for stickied topics where members can request a topic to be stickied as I'm thinking that could be useful like you said so that way if a member thinks they wrote a good article or post or somebody else did it could be pinned.

Cheers,
Austin

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Austin, if you or any other members have a topic that you believe is so important that it needs to be stickied on the top of a board (it can be any board, depending on the topic), you can ask any of the moderators to review it and sticky it, and if they determine the topic is indeed very important, it will be stickied. The reason we now have moderators sticky the topic is that before we had a lot of people sticky topics that cluttered the forum, and they were all so piled up on the top of the boards that it was hard to see the new topics requiring quick help and answers. So that's why we now don't have the option for people to sticky topics, so that the new topics come on top and can be seen right away and therefore helped faster.

BUT maybe we could make a separate board for members to talk about anything they want and to sticky the topics there themselves. I can ask Mike if it is possible to make one board where members are allowed to sticky topics without the moderators' approval. Or something of the sort. I'll talk to the moderators and to Mike about it For all other boards, members must have a topic approved before stickying it so that - as I have written above - there is no cluttering and new topics can be easily picked up.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can always post something and request that it be stickied and with the descretion of the Administrator and moderators so that we do not end up with more "stickies" than we have regular topics, it can be done.  Just remember that when something is "stickied" it is because it is going to be of interest not just for the moment but for the long - term future.  They are articles or notations that will not be changing in the future or become obsolete.
There are not that many articles that have been "stickied" in the whole of the forum, if you look at the topics.  This is because if you have bunches of something it does tend to detract from the importance placed on the idea behind the posts being placed in this manner.  So if some of the posts and articles brought forth from you or other members should be "stickied" then fine, but let's not have a full thread of "stickies" or soon making a topic a "sticky" will not mean anything and no one will pay any attention to any of them.

ATM, I do hope you do not think I am just shooting down all your ideas.  I am not trying to, but if you look at the topics and how many there are in the whole forum and then how many are actually "stickied" think of how few that there are and now all of a sudden that they are in a new format and really show up, we have this new idea for a thread of "stickies".  It is all very confusing to me.

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi ATM The consensus was to keep the forum as it is, and if you believe you have a very important topic that should be stickied, let the moderators know about it, and it will be reviewed and stickied if necessary .

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom