FishLore CHATROOM

1. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I was wondering if it's possible to have a chatroom on FishLore. I think it would be really interesting if we all could chat together. I would love to talk live with all of the nice people we have here. I think our chatroom would be a very lively one :) Do you think Mike could do something like this?

2. Craig Well Known Member Member

that would b really good !!

C W

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I know! :D

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sent Mike a PM.
    Carol

5. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

PM? Is that a "Private Message" ? (LOL, sorry for another silly question!)

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

yep ;)

Carol

7. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Hey Everybody - I'm not sure if we have access to that type of functionality. Let me look into it and if I find anything we could use I'll post back here.

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks Mike

Carol

9. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you Mike. It was just a suggestion. It's absolutely up to you :)

10. rob2uk Member Member

I can see a coupla flaws with having a chatroom...

1: There aren't usually enough people online at once to justify having one; the majority of conversations on the forum happen over a period of hours, days or even weeks.

2. If there are enough users online to make the chatroom worthwhile, it'll effectively kill the forum

11. Jason Well Known Member Member

good point!

12. joe Member Member

those r some good points i dont think i would like it as much as the forum.

13. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Rob - while your points make sense, and it's good that you mentioned them so that people can decide what they think about the chatroom idea - my comment was merely a SUGGESTION. I did not intend to divert people's attention from the forums. Of course, if there never will be enough people to chat, the chatroom will be useless. However, if there happen to be people with emergencies (ex. questions about fish diseases requiring quick answers) perhaps someone in the chatroom will be able to help them right away. That is certainly not to say that people have to wait long for answers in the forums, because they're getting them very quickly, especially thanks to Gunnie and Butterfly :)

I don't think the chatroom would actually "kill" the forums. It would rather be COMPLEMENTARY to the forums. Forums were and will be the main focus. But as I have said - it was only a SUGGESTION. Nevertheless it wouldn't hurt to try. And if it turned out ineffective, then the chatroom could be cancelled. If it would indeed divert people's attention from the forums and if not enough people would participate in the chat, then I'd even want it to be terminated.

One more time: just a suggestion, an idea. And it's completely up to the administrator of this website. I don't "absolutely" need this chatroom to exist, and if it existed, it wouldn't be just for me but for all FishLore members. I rather had in mind a live talk with all the nice people we have here. I was curious how it would be if we could all heartily chat together. I came to like very much this warm community we've all created here.

Mike, if the chatroom is useless on FishLore, and if there is a possibility that it will ruin the forums, please disregard my suggestion.

14. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

In the chatrooms I have been in all the conversations aren't necessarily just about fish. We chat about going out to eat, what we had, also fish etc...... just like standing face to face in a group and visiting. It is a lot of fun. If Mike can swing it I think it would be a good addition. Usually Chat is set for a particular start time and a specific day. Chat doesn't go on all the time like the forums would. Just my 2 cents worth ;)
    Carol

15. Jason Well Known Member Member

Hmm Better points.... ;)

16. nebstew07 Initiate Member

I dont think it would be a good idea
    So are you having second thought about this chat room idea?

17. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Me? I am not having second thoughts. But as I have already said twice: it was merely a suggestion. If it's a bad idea, the chatroom never has to exist.

18. Craig Well Known Member Member

i agree with isabella it is a good idea but if it doesnt fit in then dont bother but i honestly think it would b a great additon 2 a fantastic website we can get 2 know one another better and talk about other stuff other than fish butterfly put it perfectly so i am definatly 4 it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! come on Mike what do u think sir anymore thoughts on the matter??

C W

19. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I think a chat room is a great idea, but may be a little premature for the site right now. I post on another site that has a chat room, and know firsthand that there really needs to be some sort of monitoring of the chat room, which would be almost impossible right now. A troll in the chat room could really hurt the site if not dealt with right away, and could scare off new members. A chat room is also sometimes used for immediate answers to fish emergency questions, and if the only people in the chat room are too new to give the right answers, they could give bad advice and it would reflect on the whole site. I think this site needs to grow a little more, and we seem to get new members everyday, so it won't take long! ;)

20. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Gunnie, yes, indeed it makes sense. Maybe it's better to wait for now. Since you have personally seen what a chatroom on an aquatic website looks like, I can't possibly argue with you because I don't have the necessary experience. The least thing we want are disrespectful individuals in a chatroom as well as incorrect information provided to those who need advice immediately. I agree.