Fishlore 2nd annual art contest

Frisbee

This is the thread for posting your results for the 2nd annual fishlore art contest. Prompt word for week one is Depth. Entries due by Sunday, the 7th, but if you can’t make it by then, we would still love to see your results!

Please do not post chitchat here, this thread is for results only.
To discuss the art challenge, go here-
2nd annual Fishlore Art challenge? Should we do it again this year? | Our Other Interests Forum | 486082

This is my entry for Depth. It’s not exactly fish-related, but hey, it features water! This is what I was inspired to do. This was done purely with a regular HB pencil and a fine point sharpie marker in less then an hour, so I can’t exactly say I put a ton of effort into my entry, lol, but here it is!
2DE1DE8D-6F49-4F99-9586-73064D84B737.jpeg

Sputnik

Here’s mine- I like the Occam’s Razor approach

1612207049790.png

shrimpyay

Very cool! I'll try to participate. Here's mine.

Depth.png

Shrimpgeek

It's not quite what I invisioned, but here you go.
IMG_20210203_173006191.jpg

IMG_20210203_172951387.jpg

kallililly1973

Sputnik said:
Here’s mine- I like the Occam’s Razor approach

1612207049790.png
WINNER!

Shrimpgeek

Wow, tough crowd.

Donovan Jones

I'm starting mine and I just wanna say I apologize in advance. I've recently discovered a fun yet unsettling art style

Sputnik

Donovan Jones said:
I'm starting mine and I just wanna say I apologize in advance. I've recently discovered a fun yet unsettling art style
Now I am intrigued!

Shrimpgeek

Please share! I wanna try it

Donovan Jones

Shrimpgeek said:
Please share! I wanna try it
Essentially just use a pen and get super detailed. Mess with proportions in such a way that its cursed. Just make it all cursed. Make it feel like the creepy man in the picture is staring right into your soul

Donovan Jones

This my entry for depth. I immediately thought of horrifying deep ocean

Frisbee

Donovan Jones said:
This my entry for depth. I immediately thought of horrifying deep ocean
That... works.

Shrimpgeek

Not quite what I was expecting... Glad you found a art style that you like!

V1K

My entry for Depth.

scuba diver - depth.gif

Shrimpgeek

I'm guessing you made/animated that yourself? Looks really cool!

V1K

Shrimpgeek said:
I'm guessing you made/animated that yourself?
Of course, this is my submission for this week's theme .

Frisbee

Cherie G

Love everything! So many people involved and styles, mediums etc. Wonderful!!!!! I am still working on mine but should finish today. Hope to see many more!

Mhamilton0911

I'd love to get in this for next prompt! I didn't see this until today and I've got the day packed so I won't be able to do this weeks' word prompt.

I love all the different interpretations!

It's funny, I first thought of the angler fish as well

Cherie G

Mhamilton0911 said:
I'd love to get in this for next prompt! I didn't see this until today and I've got the day packed so I won't be able to do this weeks' word prompt.

I love all the different interpretations!

It's funny, I first thought of the angler fish as well
Please do! The more the merrier and all that!
Here is mine...not super happy with it but I can't improve it until some of it dries which leaves me out of luck for today. It is a whale not a manatee in case it is hard to tell . On to week 2 tomorrow...
depth.jpg

Mhamilton0911

Cherie G

That's so good!! I do digital art, I am horrible with actual media, digital is so much more forgiving. Yours looks so good!!!

My uncle used to do huge acrylic paintings, 20 years ago, he passed suddenly from a stroke, and at his funeral everyone who came brought all his various paintings, it was amazing. This was before everyone carried a phone, all I had was a disposable camera (remember those??!!) But it was ruined during development, so I'll never see all those amazing paintings again. But it made me appreciate physical art you can see in person, the acrylic, the brush strokes, all of it. Really cool stuff!

Cherie G

Thank you so much for your kind words! I admire digital art, have never tried it yet but maybe one day! I do hope you will have time to do this week's prompt.

What a wonderful tribute to your uncle and way for his family and friends to share his memory with one another.

I do remember those stinkin' disposable cameras! Can't tell you how many times they malfunctioned or did not have pictures turn out on them!!:mad:

Frisbee

Alright guys. This weeks prompt is “Flare”Entries due by Sunday the 14th.

And remember to please keep chit-chat to a minimum on this thread so we can view the entries easily. I posted a link to the chit-chat thread in the original post.

Some commentary on the entries is okay, just try not to start conversations on this thread.

Thank you and good luck!

V1K

Cherie G said:
Thank you so much for your kind words! I admire digital art, have never tried it yet but maybe one day! I do hope you will have time to do this week's prompt.

What a wonderful tribute to your uncle and way for his family and friends to share his memory with one another.

I do remember those stinkin' disposable cameras! Can't tell you how many times they malfunctioned or did not have pictures turn out on them!!:mad:
Our family skipped several generations of technology and our first camera was on a cellphone in, like, 2005 or so . What I do remember from pre-phone photography, is that sometimes people would take pictures at events and such, and I'd get excited that we will get some photos, but 99% of time we wouldn't xD.

Frisbee

Alright guys, here is my entry for “Flare”

I feel like the sky is just flaring it’s colors at me like my Betta would.

I can’t really take credit for this because it’s not exactly my art (obviously, I didn’t form the sky into existence), but it’s so cool I felt it deserved to get posted.

This is an unedited photo taken from a phone camera. Now you all can be jealous of our sunsets here in the land of potatoes.

36DE8CA3-CF8A-4AD7-8368-816A8833202B.jpeg

Kribensis27

Frisbee said:
Alright guys, here is my entry for “Flare”

I feel like the sky is just flaring it’s colors at me like my Betta would.

I can’t really take credit for this because it’s not exactly my art (obviously, I didn’t form the sky into existence), but it’s so cool I felt it deserved to get posted.

This is an unedited photo taken from a phone camera. Now you all can be jealous of our sunsets here in the land of potatoes.

36DE8CA3-CF8A-4AD7-8368-816A8833202B.jpeg
Our sunsets look like that, but just more dull. That's amazing!

Sputnik

Here is my entry- a serendipitous photo of my mahachai Sir Plankton showing off, with an art filter applied...
2119B459-8EBE-4442-B8C9-5C66EBBCE7CD.jpeg

For a comparison here is the photo
E3D615C2-0B1A-431B-888B-37503EAC00F4.jpeg

V1K

My submission for this week's prompt. The kind of flare I chose is "lens flare".

Lense Flare.png

betta06

a flaring betta. does that count? sorry I am new to this
IMG_4589.jpg

Cherie G

I am late, finished before dinner last night then forgot to post it, oh well. It is a somewhat abstract representation of an aerial view of a marsh. Flare is the shape of the water ways that are there.

Sputnik

Here is my entry
71FBDCD6-B96E-4F86-A38C-FC8004E88192.jpeg

511C3086-2E15-4632-8A98-869B38BE6434.jpeg
for current- once again- a photo I took with an art filter applied- the original photo is included

V1K

So where's the new prompt???

Frisbee

Oh, it’s “current” I believe. You can find all the prompts on the chit-chat thread I linked to in the first post.

V1K

I
Frisbee said:
Oh, it’s “current” I believe. You can find all the prompts on the chit-chat thread I linked to in the first post.
I think you should post them here too, not only in the chitchat thread.

Cherie G

OK, late again. I get so lazy by Sunday! Did finish yesterday but hubby and I started binge watching TV in the afternoon o_O. Here is my submission for current, another abstract oil painting based on a close up view of water currents. Trying to loosen up my style a bit so have been experimenting a bit with a more abstract approach. Get caught up in the details too much sometimes! On to the final week!

Frisbee

Alright guys, I might be a bit late. I was going to do this yesterday, but I sort of got some new frogs and was a bit... distracted. Now I’m sipping morning coffee working on my entry. Also watching the frogs while I do so.

Frisbee

So, uh, I was having trouble drawing current, and decided to quickly google the word to get an accurate reference for what water current actually looks like. For some reason one of the first photos to pop up was a stock photo of a puffer fish, and somehow I found myself drawing a pufferfish instead.

ah well, here’s my entry. Not really finished yet, but you get the gist.
DEFCBA8C-DFBB-4C20-9447-25C13FE01D40.jpeg

New prompt word is “Overgrown”
Entries due by Sunday (preferably).

MySquishy

Here’s my entry for week 4, “over grown”.
It’s a blue wag platy I was knitting for last week. I was going to have her reading the news, so she’d be up to date on “current’’ events (lol!) but I ran out of time. Fortunately she also fits the prompt for overgrown since I was aiming for a smaller fish, but she turned out twice as big as I planned. ( note: knitting needle size matters!)

5BE2E9DF-F69B-445C-BB8C-09688AAE8AE3.jpeg

79AAD533-ABC6-41D6-84EB-51205CD3F062.jpeg

C8B59D80-385E-4FEF-8906-A582DD5DD457.jpeg

6E277682-2852-4C7F-A597-606E5F541917.jpeg

13380237-D228-450D-A80A-AA05AD072708.jpeg

Cherie G

Thanks to everyone who participated in and followed our 2nd annual art challenge, amazing work! Hope to keep it going every year as long as there is interest.

Frisbee

Ugh, I forgot, I’ll still make an entry for the last week, but it’s way late.

Cherie G

Frisbee said:
Ugh, I forgot, I’ll still make an entry for the last week, but it’s way late.
That is ok! I for one would love to see what you come up with!

Sputnik

Here is my very late entry for “overgrown”
My driftwood is covered by so much phoenix moss that it covered over a fork in the branches to make a moss tunnel. One particular amano loves to hang out in there and pops her head out like a jack-in-the-box when I feed the fish! Since I lack artistic talent, once again this is a photo I took with an art filter applied.
39F61920-851A-4C53-91FC-3583707C7017.jpeg

Here is my very late entry for “overgrown”
My driftwood is covered by so much phoenix moss that it covered over a fork in the branches to make a moss tunnel. One particular amano loves to hang out in there and pops her head out like a jack-in-the-box when I feed the fish! Since I lack artistic talent, once again this is a photo I took with an art filter applied.
39F61920-851A-4C53-91FC-3583707C7017.jpeg

Hugooo

My entry I guess

1615324166412.png

tapwater

Here’s my entry for Depth:
84C56ED6-EEBC-493F-83A9-7AFD9F2B5AE3.jpeg

I went with a greenland shark since they live in deep waters (at the least 7,200 feet), and it’s been a while since I’ve drawn a shark! Also, I just used one single pen for this. I don’t really feel like adding color haha.

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom