Fishless Cyling? Question

1. Fairy King Initiate Member

About two weeks ago, I put somewhere between 2 and 4 ppms of pure ammonia into my 3.5 gallon tank to try to start a nitrogen cycle. The test kit still reads somewhere around 2ppms of ammonia, and 0 for both nitrites and nitrates. Is this typical for two weeks into the process, or am I doing something wrong? I thought I understood what I was supposed to do, but I've been known to misinterperet things quite often.:confused: It also seems to be moving quite slow, if at all, so I thought I'd see if anyone's got any suggestions on what I can do to fix this/help it go faster, if there's any way at all.

Thanks!

2. Lion401 Member Member

For a fishless cycle it can take anywhere between 2 weeks to over a month it really depends on your luck.

if you have a friend who owns an aquarium you could ask him or her for some filter media. This will instantly seed you tank and greatly shorten the time of the cycle

3. Brandon_the_fish_guy Initiate Member

The ammonia is food for a beneficial bacteria that will convert it into nitrite and then another bacteria will eat that and convert it into nitrate which unlike nitrite and ammonia is not toxic to fish in low amounts. So you said u just added ammonia or did you also add a plant another persons filter media or a fish because if you didn't then the bacteria was never there to start the cycle. U basically need to add some bacteria and grow it in your tank until there is 0 ppm ammonia and nitrite.