Fishless Cycling

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Esli, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Esli

Esli Valued Member Member

Hello everyone,
    I have been fishless cycling for about a month now, I am getting kind of impatient now.
    When i started, i was adding stability for the first 7 days as the bottle listed.
    This is going on my second week of having nitrites. They were crazy high at the beginning, they have gone down a lot.
    How much longer do I have to wait ?
    The reason ammonia is present is because ive been dosing a little to keep the nitrites going.
    I am so anxious to put a betta in now!
    The temp is at 84 & this is a 10 gallon.

Attached Files:

2. Rohit mess

Rohit mess Valued Member Member

Hi. Thanx for the image and details.
    For a fishless cycle it takes approx one month, sometimes it gets cycled in about 3 weeks and sometines it takes couple of weeks more. So be patient and continue with what you were doing for one more week and see how it goes. Also do a 30% water change whenever nitrAtes go high, as it is now.
    You are on the right track. And trust me the patience pays off. I had an urge and lost my fish, and learned my lesson the hard way. After that i have always completed cycle and made sure of it and it always succeeds!
    (I have never used any products to complete the cycle. Only fish food pellet , time and patience. Lots of it. And my 10G tank cycled in 5 weeks. Also my tank temperatur was about 25degree celcius.)

You may ask around and see if you can get a cycled media from some friend of yours or in neighbourhood. This is the best method. I had no such luck and hence had to wait for 5 weeks.

If you get high nitrITEs even after waterchange test your tap water, Maybe it has high nitrtites in it.
    I hope this helps. Let me know how your tap water turns out.

Info: the bacteria that coverts nitrite to nitrate reproduce much slower than the ones which convert ammonia to nitrite. Hence they take longer time to establish their colony.

3. A. Rozhin

A. Rozhin Valued Member Member

If you have nitrites that go down but never completely go away, check to make sure you don't have rocks in there which may be suspect. I had two rocks with a copper nitrite patches that leached nitrites into the water. Once I took it out, the cycle snapped into place.

It's correct that the Nitrosomonas colonies that make nitrite into nitrate take longer to establish themselves, but it has been my experience that this plays out as nitrites being super high, dark purple, and them BAM, you do a test and they are bright cyan. :) I hope this is helpful.

4. Rohit mess

Rohit mess Valued Member Member

I never knew rocks could do that. Thanx for info i am sure it will come in handy someday for me.

5. A. Rozhin

A. Rozhin Valued Member Member

They were very unusual rocks, gorgeous, with bright cobalt and light green patches (that was the trouble, the pretty part was the killer). I asked every fish person I knew about why my tank wouldn't cycle, and then a friend was at my house who was a chemistry major in college who asked to see one of my fish books, looked at the cycle, glanced in my tank, and immediately said, "Uh, you know that's copper nitrite, right? Nitrites where your cycle is stalled, I think you said?" So now I test not only the pH of something going in, but test the other parameters as well after a 2 day soak (though these rocks turned clear water deep purple on the nitrite test in about 6 hours).

6. OP
    OP
    Esli

Esli Valued Member Member

Thanks for the help guys!
    The tank is bare, nothing but a sponge filter & heater lives there for now lol
    Thanks for the tips, i will wait a bit longer in hopes to establishing my tank

7. Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom New Member Member

how much food have you been putting in for it to cycle> i am thinking of going this route. GOOD LUCK

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice