Fishless Cycling

1. Barb989 Initiate Member

So i started Cycling my new 55 gallon on Friday, i am using "pure" ammonia. I put to much in my levels were at around 7ppm after i added and still haven't gone down (Sunday morning). Should i still being adding ammonia ? Should i Do a water Change? Help please!?!

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Barb, 7 is pretty high.
    It may hinder bacterial growth.

At this point, you can do 1 of two things.
    Sit and wait it out. It takes longer than 3 days for the bacteria to develop.
    More like a couple of weeks.

or

Do a water changes to get the ammonia down to about 5 then wait it out.
    When it starts to drops to 1 or 0, you should have a nitrite reading.
    At that point, you may want to add more ammonia to bring it back to 5 depending on it if you have a nitrate reading.

Hang in there, cycling can take a month give or take.

Congrats on the fish less cycling!

3. Barb989 Initiate Member

i did a 50 persent water change to day and its still high :mad:. im going to start over i think

4. toosie Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't start over Barb, you haven't lost anything at this point. Test the ammonia level again tomorrow. If it is still above 5ppm just do another water change. If you are at 5ppm or lower, you will be in good shape to start the add and wait method. Of course you would be at the "wait" stage of the game. ;)

You are doing a fishless cycle so you are already doing an awesome job. :happy0034: Do you have other tanks already set up or is this your first? Another great way to do a fishless cycle is to use cycled media from another tank. A great spot to put this type of info is in your aquarium information section. Just go to the top of this page and click on the drop down menu titled "My Settings" and then click on Edit Aquarium Info. After you have finished filling out the information, remember to click on the "Save" button and we will all be good to go. :happy0034:

5. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

While 8 PPM ammonia is a bit higher than I prefer, it isn't too high to cycle the tank. I would wait 3 days and retest the ammonia. You should start to see the level drop naturally in about a week. Only when it drops under 1 PPM, add more ammonia to raise the level up to 4 PPM max.

Good luck cycling.