Fishless Cycling With Tetra Safe Start And Ammonia Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Phillip J. Fry, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Phillip J. Fry

Phillip J. Fry New Member Member

There is a link in the comments of the tss q&a about this but it won't open for me. April 15th i added the ammonia and it stayed at 4ppm for 2 days. Once safe start plus arrived, I lowered ammonia to 2ppm and dumped in the bottle. Today (24th) my readings are
    Ammonia- .5ppm
    NitrAte- 10ppm
    Nitrite- 0
    PH: 7.5

My question is: do I add more drops of ammonia till my nitrAtes can get higher? Is there a "proper limit" for the nitrAtes to reach before my tank is considered cycled? I also need to add water for evaporation. My house is a litteral desert and the tank water just disappears. (Probably need to add a little more than half a gallon to replace what I didnt put in for the past week) Is that going to dilute my readings? Should I add a drop of ammonia to help? And if anyone can post a link here on this topic that works....I would really appreciate it. thanks in advance.

2. Tokie Wartooth

Tokie Wartooth New Member Member

Yes raise it to 4ppm daily. Once the bacteria can clear the ammonia in about 12 hours your ready to do the big water change to bring nitrates down and add fish

3. OP
    OP
    Phillip J. Fry

The q&a states that the tetra safe start will not survive in 4ppm ammonia and that you must bring it down below that.

4. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

4ppm in 12 hours is a pretty high cycle level... 2ppm in 24hours seems to be a more common recommendation.

5. OP
    OP
    Phillip J. Fry

My tank is a 20h, filter is for up to 30g and I would like to eventually fully stock it. Im assuming that bc im seeing nitrAtes at 10ppm i already have a fairly sized amount of bb so 4ppm wouldnt hurt it too much(?) But bc tetra advises keeping it below 4ppm would it be safer to keep it at 2ppm or more beneficial for future stock plans to keep it at 4ppm?

6. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Unless you need to fully stock it all at once, which I would not recommend, you should keep it at about 2ppm. It looks like you skipped or missed the nitrite spike and are well on your way to being cycled. Just keep your ammonia at about 2ppm until it is processed in 24 hours, then make sure it processes in 12 hours before adding fish. Keep tabs on nitrites.

Once your tank is at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, >0 nitrates 12 hours after dosing up to 2ppm ammonia, you are ready to add your first batch of fish. Keep tabs on parameters for a few days to make sure the bb is handling the bioload ok. Give it a few weeks to stabilize, then add your next batch. Once you have made it this far, consider using a quarantine tank for any new fish so you do not jeopardize your current stock with disease.

What are you stocking?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  7. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

It depends on what kind of fish you plan on putting in. If they are going to be small tropicals then putting it up to 2ppm should be fine. If they are going to be larger with larger bio loads, then put it up to 4ppm. Either way, you want the ammonia to drop in 24 hours back to 0ppm to be cycled. More than likely, it will drop within 12 hours. By the way, anytime your ammonia goes to .25ppm or lower, add the ammonia again.

8. OP
    OP
    Phillip J. Fry

We havent decided on fish yet. I plan on going to a few places and look at my options first. Hubby wants lots of big fish but didnt want to pay for lots of big fish home thank you for your help.

Idk yet. Hubby wants lots of big fish but we don't have a 'lots of big fish tank' i plan on looking around next week for appropriate size fish and see if we can come to an agreement so I can do research about the fish before the tank is cycled. So i would like to prepare for large bio load, just in case.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice