55 Gallon Tank Fishless Cycling - With Ammonia

chucky
HI Guys,

I've been doing a lot of reading on the net about fishless cycling and thought this would be the best way of setting up my 2nd tank.

I'm a bit puzzled about the results that i've been getting;

DATE AMMONIA NITRITE
23/12/2010 5.0 1.00
24/12/2010 2.0 0.25
25/12/2010 8.0 0.25
26/12/2010 4.0 0.25
27/12/2010 8.0 0.25
28/12/2010 8.0 0.00

the only thing ive been adding is pure ammonia and yesterday (27/12) I added some Stability (Seachem). It didnt drop the ammonia but dropped the nitrite. Is that normal? from everything I've read, the Nitrite should be increasing not decreasing.

Any help would be much appreciated. I haven't tested the Nitrate and PH yet as i've been told there is not much value in doing so until the Ammonia and Nitrite start dropping.

Thanks guys!

Llama
If you're doing a fishless cycle I wouldn't add chemicals to it. Is the 23rd day 1?

If its your second tank, then grab some of the filter material from tank 1, and add it to the filter in tank 2. It'll be cycled much much faster.

chucky
hey llama thanks for the quick reply, 23/12/2010 is day 1....

the first tank was only setup about a month and a half ago and has some filter wool from an established tank around the internal filter, I tried taking it off a couple of days ago and lost a fish the next day so I wrapped it around again and its been all good since... so taking material out of this tank is not an option at the moment...

i'll stop adding chemicals to the 4ft

Llama
Hmm, so I would assume that your natural water source has Nitrites in it? Could you test your water source?

Gravel can also work instead of filter material - not as good but its still plausable. Or if you have a clay ornament - that works. Anything that's very porous.

If you have nitrite in your water source, then you're still quite early in the cycle. No idea why its going down so quickly.

chucky
hey guys, i've decided to experiment a little with some filter wool that they sell in my lfs. they run a tank in the back with ammonia, so this would be like a continuous fishless cycle true?

well I bought some and did an 80% water change will test the water in a couple of hours and post it up

unfortunately I can't take anything out of my current tank at the moment, i've just finished setting it up properly with plants and such to protect the guppy fry from becoming dinner...

Llama
Getting rather confused here...

Lets start simple... What filter do you have? What kind at least?

Secondly, you shouldn't be doing partial water changes - you want the ammonia to stay there. You only do PWC when you want to remove the nitrates OR you have fish in there which could get poisoned. During a fishless cycle you never remove water - you want those values to go down on their own when bacteria colonise it.

Aquarist
Good morning,

The ammonia level of 8.0 is way too high. If the ammonia level is above 4.0 the cycle may have a difficult time getting established and taking care of the ammonia if it does at all. Try to keep the ammonia level 4.0 and below. Surely no higher than 6.0.

A link you may find helpful:

Stability:
I don't know that it contains the necessary bacteria needed to sustain a cycle. I would stop using it and continue cycling with just the ammonia.

Best of luck and hang in there. It will get much easier once the tank is cycled.

Ken

chucky
I have a OTTO canister filter connected.

The reason I did a massive water change was because I felt the too high. I tested the water this morning and it was at 4.0 ammonia.

I stopped using the stability chemicals.

I think i'm going to use the add & wait method from that article from here on in, thanks for the link!

Aquarist
Sounds good Chucky

Ken

Cyputts
What is the current status of this tank?

Did you ever get through the cycle?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom