Fishless Cycling Questions Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Cander, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Cander

Cander Valued Member Member

Hey everyone I’ve a few questions. The first is I’m cycling a ten gallon tank using fish food. Today I cleaned of my 30 gallon filter cartridge in a pall then add it to the ten hoping to seed the tank. How much food and how often should I add. This tank is going to be for guppy fry that are currently in a breeder. How soon can I add them to the ten gallon.

Lastly I’m using a small amount of prime that I top off my tank. Do I have to use prime every time. I’ve well water with no chlorine.

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

If your water has nothing in it as in ammonia or heavy metals you dont really even need prime. Im also one of the lucky ones to have a good well, i send a sample to the lab every 2 years just to make sure its still safe to drink. It always has come back good so i dont add anything byt water to my tank.

3. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

If you have a well seeded cartridge from a cycled tank you should be able to move both cartridge and guppy fry to the 10 gallon tank at the same time. The cartridge should just move the cycle (bacteria) to the new tank. The bacteria will just think it has had a really big water change.

The guppy fry will supply the ammonia needed to feed the bacteria you are moving.

Since you are using well water with no chlorine there is no need to add prime each time you top off your tank. You will want to keep a close eye on the perimeters of the fry tank though and if you see ammonia you will want to use the prime to help neutralize it.

4. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

How old are the fry?

5. OP
    OP
    Cander

The fry are 2 1/2 weeks old

6. OP
    OP
    Cander

I’m not able to move the cartridge but I just tried to seed the tank my cleaning off the cartridge into the ten gallon...will this still do the same thing.

7. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

if your refering to the gunk off the filter cartridge its pretty much just that. Gunk.

8. OP
    OP
    Cander

So doing this wouldn’t help me out at all

9. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

It may help a little, but you'll still have a cycle.
    Also, if there are any heavy metals in your well water, prime will bind those as well.. if you havent tested, it's cheap insurance.

10. OP
    OP
    Cander

Ok thank you

11. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think that will help. Sadly the gunk in the cartridge is mostly just waste left over after every thing has finished eating. If you are able to use some of the fiber from the seeded cartridge it would help though.

Is it just that you only have the one seeded cartridge or is it that the one you do have won't fit the filter housing on your 10 gallon tank?

I think TexasGuppy meant you would still have to cycle but I could have misunderstood.

Time for me to call it a night but wanted to say. If you are willing to do a lot of water changes you could go ahead and move the fry to the 10 gallon. they will grow a lot faster in the 10 gallon tank than they will in the breeder net.

You would then just basically be doing a fish in cycle.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  12. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

Yes, I meant you'll still have to go through a cycle... water changes, prime, monitor. You'll get there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice