Fishless Cycling Question

Amber818

2 days ago I started cycling a 29 gallon. I stuck some seeded media into my filter from my 10 gallon and dosed with ammonia until I got my tank to 3.0 ppm. Tested it yesterday but only tested it for ammonia and nitrite. Ammonia was still at 3.0 and nitrite was at 0. Today I decided to test for nitrate. My ammonia was still at 3.0, nitrite was 0 and my nitrate seems to be around 7.0 ppm. How is this possible?

KingOscar

Nitrate was likely in the source water. But really it doesn't matter where it came from. You need to see ammonia and nitrite drop to zero... 2 or 3 times. (after re-dosing)

Amber818

Ugh I’m so impatient. Especially since I’ve cycled a 10 gallon in 2 weeks before without using any cycled media. I saw nitrite the next day. Now I’m cycling this tank with cycled media and it hasn’t budged.

Azedenkae

Ugh I’m so impatient. Especially since I’ve cycled a 10 gallon in 2 weeks before without using any cycled media. I saw nitrite the next day. Now I’m cycling this tank with cycled media and it hasn’t budged.
What’s the pH of the cycled tank versus the pH of this tank you are cycling?

greggw2gs

Amber, while I have been in and out of the hobby for 50 years now, I am doing my first fishless cycle.

I started 9 days ago after moving my 15Gal Fluval Flex, adding an Undergravel Filter, and giving my Sump Filter sponges a really good cleaning in Tank Water. I am sure I lost a bit of BIO doing that but I also have an established Fluval U1 in the thank which I didn't clean.

I dosed Dr. Tim's 3 times in these 9 days to recommend levels and timing while also dosing Seachem Stability to recommended levels every day. The last dose of Dr. Tim's Amonia was 3 days ago. Note: the first 4 days of Stability I didn't shake the bottle vigorously but have since. I get much more BIO coming out now. So keep that in mind with these types of additives I have read.

Using the API Master Test Kit I am at 3.5 - 4.0ppm Ammonia, 3.0 - 3.5ppm Nitrites, and 15ppm Nitrates for the last two days. I had been using API and Tetra test strips prior to the API Master Test Kit for the past 7 days. But I wasn't trusting those test strips from experience and some gut-level feel which is why I went out and bought the master kit.

The moral of this story, albeit a long one, is the test strips reported lower or subdued readings across the board blinding me to the real action in the tank. The master KIT is more clear and more trustworthy I think. I hope to see that Ammonia coming down and the Nitrates going up in the next day or two.

What test product are you using?

Gregg

Amber818

What’s the pH of the cycled tank versus the pH of this tank you are cycling?
Same ph 7.2
Amber, while I have been in and out of the hobby for 50 years now, I am doing my first fishless cycle.

I started 9 days ago after moving my 15Gal Fluval Flex, adding an Undergravel Filter, and giving my Sump Filter sponges a really good cleaning in Tank Water. I am sure I lost a bit of BIO doing that but I also have an established Fluval U1 in the thank which I didn't clean.

I dosed Dr. Tim's 3 times in these 9 days to recommend levels and timing while also dosing Seachem Stability to recommended levels every day. The last dose of Dr. Tim's Amonia was 3 days ago. Note: the first 4 days of Stability I didn't shake the bottle vigorously but have since. I get much more BIO coming out now. So keep that in mind with these types of additives I have read.

Using the API Master Test Kit I am at 3.5 - 4.0ppm Ammonia, 3.0 - 3.5ppm Nitrites, and 15ppm Nitrates for the last two days. I had been using API and Tetra test strips prior to the API Master Test Kit for the past 7 days. But I wasn't trusting those test strips from experience and some gut-level feel which is why I went out and bought the master kit.

The moral of this story, albeit a long one, is the test strips reported lower or subdued readings across the board blinding me to the real action in the tank. The master KIT is more clear and more trustworthy I think. I hope to see that Ammonia coming down and the Nitrates going up in the next day or two.

What test product are you using?

Gregg
I’m using the API test kit and testing with my water in vials :)

Dunk2

2 days ago I started cycling a 29 gallon. I stuck some seeded media into my filter from my 10 gallon and dosed with ammonia until I got my tank to 3.0 ppm. Tested it yesterday but only tested it for ammonia and nitrite. Ammonia was still at 3.0 and nitrite was at 0. Today I decided to test for nitrate. My ammonia was still at 3.0, nitrite was 0 and my nitrate seems to be around 7.0 ppm. How is this possible?
As KingOscar asked, have you tested your source water for nitrates?

Also, what brand of ammonia are you using?

Amber818

As KingOscar asked, have you tested your source water for nitrates?

Also, what brand of ammonia are you using?
No I haven’t but I will today when I do a water change on my 10 gallon. I’m using Dr. Tim’s. I’m using well water mixed with a majority of RODI

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BettaFishObsessed
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Dunk2
Replies
Views