Fishless Cycling Question

fish_ninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,

I'm looking for feedback about how my cycle is going, and wanting to make sure things are progressing as they should be. I've read a lot of articles/guides on fishless cycling here and elsewhere, but it seems that there are so many variables involved that I'm a little confused.

Here's some info about my tank:
  • 20 gallon high
  • Temperature 82F
  • pH 7.6
  • UGF with carbon cartridges
  • Biowheel filter with carbon cartridge (I have filter sponge en route)
Here's how I've been cycling my tank (Checked my tank at the same time each day 24 hours apart):
Day 1: Added Dr. Tim Ammonium Chloride, enough to bring ammonia levels up to 2ppm. At same time added 20 ml API Quick Start.
Day 2: Added another dose of Quick Start. Ammonia 2ppm.
Day 3: Changed from API Quick Start to Nite-Out II (can't remember exactly why, probably read reviews about Quick Start and saw that people weren't having much luck with this). Added 15 ml Nite-Out II. Ammonia 2ppm.
Day 4: Started to measure low levels of nitrites 24 hrs after adding Nite-Out. Nitrites 0.25 ppm. Ammonia looked to be a little less than 2ppm.
Day 5: Nitrites 0.25ppm, Ammonia a little less than 2ppm. Added second dose of Nite-Out (10 ml). pH 7.6
Day 6: Nitrites: 0.5ppm, Ammonia 1ppm.
Day 7: Same readings as above. Added 10 ml Nite-Out. Dosed ammonia back to 2ppm.
Day 8: Ammonia 2ppm. Nitrites: 0.5ppm
Day 9: Same readings as above.
Day 10: Same readings as above.
Day 11: Same readings as above.

I was doing some reading on here and decided to stop using any of the bacteria boosting chemicals and just let nature run it's course, since now I'm worried that I've messed things up/stalled my cycle by adding all those weird bacterium (LOL). I also realize that I'm pretty early into my cycle and am just feeling anxious to get things going!

Feedback/reassurance/criticism welcome! Thanks

Initiate

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When I cycle tank I just chuck a large pinch of fish food in there and let it sit for two weeks before checking it. I know it's an annoyingly long process to cycle but I would add some more ammonia stuff and wait. A small 3g water change may also help get things along in my experience.

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Have you used any water purifier/conditioner/primer to the water before adding it to the tank?

fish_ninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Initiate said:
When I cycle tank I just chuck a large pinch of fish food in there and let it sit for two weeks before checking it. I know it's an annoyingly long process to cycle but I would add some more ammonia stuff and wait. A small 3g water change may also help get things along in my experience.
Thanks for your reply! I will try to do a small water change today.

Lunnietic said:
Have you used any water purifier/conditioner/primer to the water before adding it to the tank?
Hi! Thanks for your reply. Yes, I used API Stress coat when adding the water. For ease of use though, I added all 20 gallons to the tank first and then added Stress Coat. Would that make a difference?

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As long as the water was declorinated before you added the B.B. you should be good.

I think you will be fine, just be patient.

Test every other day, when ammonia goes below 1, dose to 2ppm.

fish_ninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hunter1 said:
As long as the water was declorinated before you added the B.B. you should be good.

I think you will be fine, just be patient.

Test every other day, when ammonia goes below 1, dose to 2ppm.
Sounds good! Thank you

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You need to shake the snot out of most BB in a bottle.

I had little success with QuickStart. I never tried NiteOut. I cycled 2 tanks with TSS+ in less than 5 days and another with Stability in 7 days.

fish_ninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DarkOne said:
You need to shake the snot out of most BB in a bottle.

I had little success with QuickStart. I never tried NiteOut. I cycled 2 tanks with TSS+ in less than 5 days and another with Stability in 7 days.
I definitely shook it, but as far as shaking the snot out of it....not sure

At this point do you think I should just let Mother Nature do her thing? Or go out and buy some TSS?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TSS+ works much better for fish-in cycling. If you know what fish you want, pick the hardiest and put them in right after dosing TSS+ (25ml per 10g).

Remember to shake the bottle like it owes you money .

I know we're joking around about it but you really do need to shake most bacteria in a bottles really well. Banging it on a table or floor isn't a bad idea. The bacteria clumps and can be ineffective if not broken up.

So shake it like a red headed step child

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom