FISHLESS CYCLING - ONLY GETTING AMMONIA RESULTS - Page 2

Jendayi
I bet your little hex will be cycled with Wink in it before you know it! I was thinking that about my boys in the mini-bows. I don't really test their water too much since I do a 50% water change every day. Today I was doing the testing on my 6 gallon that I just started cycling and I thought HMMMM I wonder if Romeo's tank is on it's way? I haven't tested his water yet but I think I will tomorrow.

I know it's so aggravating for you, but it just struck me as funny that the little tank might be cycled by the time you are ready to move him

capekate
HI Val,
I understand the argument for a cycled tank, and since Ive cycled tanks both ways I do understand the best way is to cycle fishless. I just believe that the betta are a lot more hardy than the others and can deal with the water. Even tho my tanks were not cycled when I put them in them, the readings never had a chance to be dangerous since I did water changes all the time. So far... knock on wood, my bettas are healthy and never had any disease or fin rot and doing great.
YES.. you have to go into the record books for the longest cycle.. or rather the longest time that anyone has ever NOT had a nitrate reading!!! lol...
I do understand how busy you are right now.. and especially when the garden is in season along with your helping your folks move.. and all the other normal responsibilities that come with being a housewife. ( ok.. for all you young'ns out there.. THAT is not a bad word!! ) I would agree that right now leaving the tank as it is, gives you more of a time frame to do other things that need to be done now. At least with no betta in the tank, you don't have to worry about him.
I really feel bad, as you and I started the fishless cycle one day apart from each other, you on june 17th and my tank on june 18th. :-\
~ kate
PS... I'm in a Eastern time zone, here, but its all possible that I was up that early and not able to sleep! I'm up at the weirdest times.... and when I can't sleep I stick my nose in the forum.. lol

voiceless_kat
JendayI said:
I bet your little hex will be cycled with Wink in it before you know it! I was thinking that about my boys in the mini-bows. I don't really test their water too much since I do a 50% water change every day. Today I was doing the testing on my 6 gallon that I just started cycling and I thought HMMMM I wonder if Romeo's tank is on it's way? I haven't tested his water yet but I think I will tomorrow.

I know it's so aggravating for you, but it just struck me as funny that the little tank might be cycled by the time you are ready to move him
Hey, you know I never even thought to check the hex, I just do the water changes and continue on as if I am normal. Guess in the back of my mind was there is no filter media, since it is undergravel filter. Does that make a difference?? Must do a test anyway.

Kate.........I suppose in the big picture, this little non-cycling tank is not such a big deal, right? I use it as my excuse to come on to fishlore and meet nice crazy fish people such as myself. --kinda nice since before I was just the crazy cat lady (4) now I can add crazy fish lady to my CV. Joking here.................I am not too crazy, just crazy enough.

So now I am thinkin I can either go for posting a reward $$$$$$ or going for a Guiness record...........LOL -

BTW I tested PH this morning, in the cycling tank, which I never do.......It was 7.6..............could that be influencing this whole thing??

Val

armadillo
Well am sure pH could be influencing it, but 7.6 is not really extreme. I have 8.0 and never had these problems. My guess is therefore that's not what it is in this case.

You've got me on the wine, you bad lady! Am sitting here, relaxing after yet another horrendously stressful week at work and sipping my wine quite unashamedly.

voiceless_kat
armadillo said:
Well am sure pH could be influencing it, but 7.6 is not really extreme. I have 8.0 and never had these problems. My guess is therefore that's not what it is in this case.

You've got me on the wine, you bad lady! Am sitting here, relaxing after yet another horrendously stressful week at work and sipping my wine quite unashamedly.
;D Well good for you, across the ocean we can lift a glass to wish each other well and smooth sailing with out betta kids!! It is so hot here right now that I had to change my early evening cocktail to gin & tonic............you know, for medicinal purposes!! Wine was too warm. LOL

Must go test that hex tank............do you know if undergravel filter makes a difference??

Cheers fellow aficionado!!! Val

armadillo
Mmmmh G&T. I hope it's Bombay Saphyre! I've got a tip for ya with the G&T. I slice lime and leave the slices in a bag in the freezer, then I use them as ice cubes in my G&T.

No experience with UG filters, sorry Val.

voiceless_kat
armadillo said:
Mmmmh G&T. I hope it's Bombay Saphyre! I've got a tip for ya with the G&T. I slice lime and leave the slices in a bag in the freezer, then I use them as ice cubes in my G&T.

No experience with UG filters, sorry Val.

It is Bombay Saphire!!!!! Great hint about the limes.........I do the limes, but have never frozen them - I am doing that here today. Headed to the cabin this evening, so am doing it there also. We are ladies of distiction!! ( well, I will be the hippy )

Meanwhile all the fish are acting silly, and hate the fact that we leave them for the weekend!!!! Home Sunday.

Have a really wonderful weekend...........are your summers very hot?? It has been high 90's all week with very high humidity........just brutal when you aren't used to it. I used to live at the base of the Rocky Mts in British Columbia, and it was more moderate weather much easier for a middle aged body to cope..LOL

BTW I tested Wink's water.............nah, nothing going on there either........just 0; 0 & 0!!! Which is good. Might take Kate's advise and get him into a larger uncycled tank..............he never seems to rest, little fart. I am sure he is going to wear his fins out!!! So he would really enjoy swimming laps instead of that up and down, round and round in the small hex!!

Ok, great weekend.......enjoy. I will bring feedback on the limes!!! Val

armadillo
Ooooooh, Bombay Saphyre is the best! Good taste, lady!

We went to a friend's wedding this week-end and I looooooooooooved it. We all really enjoyed ourselves.

Fish are just soooo stupid when they see you pack. They all start acting sick, then. I swear it happens to us.

How were the frozen limes?

voiceless_kat
armadillo said:
Ooooooh, Bombay Saphyre is the best! Good taste, lady!

We went to a friend's wedding this week-end and I looooooooooooved it. We all really enjoyed ourselves.

Fish are just soooo stupid when they see you pack. They all start acting sick, then. I swear it happens to us.

How were the frozen limes?
So much has happened since that last post: great weekend; frozen limes were great ; I bought a new betta boy ( see betta specific thread); and I did have a sick one when I got home ( betta specific thread).

See this is why God Made wine; gin; and prescription drugs............................to keep people from jumping off the earth when it spins toooooo fast!!

Glad to hear your weekend was a good one!! Val

armadillo
Oooooh, what's the new betta look like, then - oh forget that, I'll check the betta post. Buuuut, how's your cycling? Are you sick of even measuring?

Glad you enjoyed the lime idea!

voiceless_kat
armadillo said:
Oooooh, what's the new betta look like, then - oh forget that, I'll check the betta post. Buuuut, how's your cycling? Are you sick of even measuring?

Glad you enjoyed the lime idea!
I checked it last night when we got home, still nothing. You know, I was changing Tiny King's water and thought I should put a decoration in, and so pulled the swim through rock thingee out of the cycling tank. I cleaned it all off, and you know, all kinds of blue colour came out of it, it had to be some kind of dye. I had the anemone in his tank, but pulled that also, since it got this icky slimy stuff on it before. Anyway, this dye from the rock was bugging me, even tho there had been a tag saying aquarium safe. wonder if that could have had anything to do with it not cycling? I know that is a long shot.

I will leave it for now, but I am buying a 10 gallon to put a divider in and put Wink Jack Sparrow and Tiny King into. They are both very little farts, and cute as ****. My kitchen cupboards, which I like clear and uncluttered, are now home to 4 aquariums, so I am thinking I should put two together and move onto the antique sewing machine.............I have no experience with a divided tank, but as I said before somewhere "in for a dime in for a dollar". I wil try it and see how it goes. And for this one I think I am going to weaken and buy the bio spira even tho it will cost $40 USD.....I just have to find some place to have it delivered. there is a guy that is a FedEx drop off in Minnesota and I am going to see if he can refrigerate it when it comes overnight express. Geez to say it was cycled in 24 hours.............well won't that be a treat. And then I can use the Eclipse 3 for a quarantine tank.

My husband thinks I am completely off my rocker, and I tend to agree with him. But these little guys are so sweet, and certainly give me many laughs during the daytime hours. I have been so busy with my parents move I haven't had time to get annoyed at my cupboards being full of aquariums like some eccentric crazy person ( exactly!!!!) ............LOL

I found some dividers on line and ordered them tonight, so will hopefully have it together by early next week.

Meanwhile, I put TK's pics into the photo contest for July and trying not to be a "stage": mom...LOL

How are your guys doing???

Val

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom