Fishless cycling - nitrogen cycle problem/question!?!?! - Page 3

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
nataliagx3 said:
Okay. I just tested and I have 0 readings for ammonia and nitrite. My nitrates are about 20 ppm.. The fish were added in yesterday. Can I do a water change now just to bring my nitrates down a bit?

And no they're called red eye tetras. If you look it up on google you'll see
Sure you can do a water change. Could you buy the new tank, set it up, swap the fish and filter over, clean out the cube and then return it?

OP
N

nataliagx3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Spoke to the website I bought it from and since it's been semI used they won't accept the return. So my best bet is to probably purchase the new one and sell my current one on craigslist to get most of the money back.

But if I get the 22 gal long would I have to change the filter? I have an aquaclear 30 for my current tank. Not sure if I'd need to upgrade to the 50 aquaclear

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No, it will still work, you could always add on a second one if you want for better flow and its always good to have two running. One can serve as a backup if the other one fails.

OP
N

nataliagx3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, great. I should also add my current gravel + water to the new tank correct? I'm sure I'd need more gravel though so would it be okay to just mix my current gravel with some new? And obviously just top off the water with new water

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could actually fill the new tank with the same temperature dechlorinated water, add in additional gravel, then move the fish and filter over. After that you can take your time, empty the old one, do a quick rinse of the gravel and move it over by the container full.

New Threads